Let's hear it for dandelions!

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
JeremyinCzechRep
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Let's hear it for dandelions!

I read somewhere that your average supermarket lettuce has been sprayed 34 times with various chemicals before it reaches you. How many times have the dandelions in your garden been sprayed? How far have the dandelions in your garden been transported in the back of a truck?
Rather than seeing dandelions as a problem, see them as a great food, rich in all sorts of vitamins. I sometimes throw them into a stir fry or eat them in a salad. I found an interesting site giving all the vitamins and minerals for different foodstuffs. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=74
When you're sitting in your car, don't complain about the traffic. You are the traffic.
Have a look at my website with lots of photos, recipes and books

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Let's hear it for dandelions!

What about the bunches of dandelion greens that are sold in the supermarkets then? :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

red

i dont care for dandelion greens.. very bitter. I guess ify ou liek chicory etc, then it would work for you.

I made dandelion frittersyesterday though.. using the flowers. nothing compared to how wonderful elderflower fritters are.. but they were nice enough
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Never seen dandelion greens in T£sco MMM. :lol: That's much more a french thing I think.

We've got a gallon of dandelion wine ready to bottle - don't know what it'll taste like but it looks like it'd take paint off, no problem :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:Never seen dandelion greens in T£sco MMM. :lol: That's much more a french thing I think.

We've got a gallon of dandelion wine ready to bottle - don't know what it'll taste like but it looks like it'd take paint off, no problem :lol:
mine tastes . . . earthy? very rustic and rural. i have left it to mature in the hope it gets better (i have disgustingly good luck using this technique, even for things that should be affected by maturation)
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Ellendra

Not fond of the leaves, but I make jelly from the blossoms every year.

I prefer violet leaves.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

You guys have just reminded me that I promised myself I would make dandelion wine this year - I have never made wine before so I better go and buy some stuff. :roll:

Last year I made some dandelion cordial and it was very tasty, but a bit too sweet, I will certainly be making it again - and this year I have a toddler capable of picking them for me :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red

my dandelion wine from last year is still working - tasted at racking and was drinkable but not remarkable
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Thomzo

I fancy having a go at the jelly but won't have enough flowers at one time. Do you think I could freeze the petals until I have enough? I'll have a go and see how I get on.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

JeremyinCzechRep
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Zoe,
I tried that last year and they didn't freeze well. I am sure that you can find some friends that could donate some to your worthy cause.
When you're sitting in your car, don't complain about the traffic. You are the traffic.
Have a look at my website with lots of photos, recipes and books

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

dandelion wine was started yesterday much to the delight of my son who went out the back and picked them,picked about 3 quarts,the girls then took the green bits off the heads as best they could,i added 10 whole cloves and 2 good teaspoons of fresh ginger all in 1 gall of boiled water,3 oranges and 1 lemon yet to go in with the yeast and sugar tomorrow,put back in to the pan and boil up,trnsfer to the bucket,cover with muslin,and leave for about 2 weeks stirring daily,then into the jar till it stops fermenting,bottle for next oct,
there thats what we will be doing with our abundance of dandelions,but am looking at the other idea`s here and might give a couple a go, :flower:

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dandelions are sold at some of the markets here. My son (age 6)especially enjoys seeing them so he can shout out "look mum, pis-en-lits!" repeatedly and entertain anyone in earshot. :roll:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, just hit me that the English word is derived from French 'lions teeth' and yet... the French have to give them another name :roll: and a rude one at that :lol:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Annpan wrote:Yeah, just hit me that the English word is derived from French 'lions teeth' and yet... the French have to give them another name :roll: and a rude one at that :lol:
Ah but the olde english name for 'em is like the french :pirate: and is true to it's use as a medicinal herb
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Millymollymandy

I think that's why I'm scared to try them! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/