storing the seasonal glut

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

storing the seasonal glut

Hi Folks,

I'm going to go berrying this eve (if the rain holds off) and would like some advice on storage. I know traditionally its all jams, jellies, chutneys and wine but I was wondering how well brambles and elderberries would freeze? And what would be the best use for them once they have been frozen?
Could they be dried? If so how?

Also I found a nice little stash of chanterelles last nioght and am thinking of going back and picking them for a risotto, how can I tell if they are past their best?

x

richyboy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: storing the seasonal glut

We froze blackberries and elderberries last year and plan to do the same this year. We found it worked really well to give everything a thorough wash and drain. Strip the elderberries from the twigs using a fork and then freeze as they are.

You can then make jams, puddings, etc. at your own pace rather than having chaos for a weekend!!

Not sure about mushrooms - sorry. Not quite brave enough to pick my own yet. Read all the books and information, but need to find an expert to teach me the ways!
Growing our own & foraging in our own little Eden.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I always freeze these berries but make sure to put them in small enough containers so that you can use a few at a time as suits your recipe. I put blackberries in freezer bags and elderberries in the little plastic pots that cream cheese comes in, which is about the right amount to put in a crumble with apple and other fruit.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks guys,

Well the weather is Sunny!! So its on with the muddy boots when I get home and berries galore!

I'm hoping for some cobnuts too, last year I did a lovely breamble and elderberry crumble with a cobnut topping.........mmmmmmmm.

:sunny:

Ellendra

Millymollymandy wrote:I always freeze these berries but make sure to put them in small enough containers so that you can use a few at a time as suits your recipe.

Another trick is to freeze them on a baking sheet, then after frozen put them in their containers. This keeps them from freezing into one solid mass.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

brambles are lovely frozen. I like to remove them from the freezer and sprinkle in crumbles.

if you put them in the freezer in a bag and gently shake it every 2 hours or so you get separated berries ;)
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mushrooms can be dried then rehydrated when you need them. I dry them on a wire rack and hang it from the ceiling. if the heating is on then I stick the rack over a radiator. You can also stick them in the oven after you have used it, using up the last bit of heat to dry them. Wait until it has cooled to lower than 100c though as you will just be cooking them.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I thread slices onto strings and hang them over the spare room radiator.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I freeze berries in those flat plastic tubs the take-aways come in. Spread them out so they don't touch and freeze with the lid off (don't ask me why but I think it stops them going quite so mushy when you defrost them). Then pop the lid on and stack them in the freezer. You can take them out a few at a time and they won't be all squashed together.

I've got quite a big freezer, mind, before I got it I used to open-freeze as Ellendra describes and put them in margarine tubs once frozen. They don't stick together.

Zoe

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

I haven't managed to get any elderberries this year, they're way out of my reach and surrounded by massive nettles!

:(

Nor have I found ANY cobnuts, last year there were loads and I roasted them for crumble toppings and to add to granola but this year- none.

Anyone else had this problem? The trees are still there and look healthy.