Physalis

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Physalis

Physalis is another of those plants that I thought would be "interesting" to grow, and like all the other "interesting" plants that I've grown expected them to be disappointing, but at least get it out of my system.
Especially as I bought some in a supermarket, they were expensive (about 6 in a pack) and were just plain sour.

But .. I am growing a dozen plants this year and they are not bad, sweet with and sharp aftertaste, and very prolific.
So far I've shucked just on 2 kilos and can't see where I've been. And discovered by far the best thing to do with them is to dry them, which they do incredibly quickly compared to other fruit.
So now I have dried physalis in my breakfast museli and mixed with other (home grown) dried fruit in my buns.
Before ...
physalis1.jpg
physalis1.jpg (133.28 KiB) Viewed 7922 times
... and after
physalis2.jpg
physalis2.jpg (196.35 KiB) Viewed 7921 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Physalis

A friend gave me a seedling for Christmas. It's like a triffid, taking up far more space in the greenhouse than I care for. The fruits OK but I'm not totally sold. I'm just hoping it's an annual plant so I can get rid soon. Having said that it's still hung in fruit, so it might be a while yet.

Oh, and the tomatoes have had a second rush - coming off faster that any point in the last couple of months. The blackberries, in the garden, obviously are absolutely hung in fruit - we're picking enough daily for three of us to have with some yoghurt.

It's turning out to be quite a good year for us, which I wouldn't have believed last month.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin