Productive apple tree

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Productive apple tree

Out of all the apple trees that I have, this one is the most productive for it's size.
I was given the tree that was bought in Lidl as a bare rooted tree late in spring, in leaf. I had nowhere prepared to plant it so I stuck it temporarily in a bit of rough ground out of the way, and that's where it stayed (of course)
It was labelled "Bramley", which it plainly isn't, and is on extremely dwarfing rootstock, probably intended for container growing. It's no more than 3 feet tall and probably the same width, and it must be 7 or 8 years old now.
We think it could be a Spartan, but it could be anything really. The fruit is nice, crisp and slightly tart when freshly picked and will keep for a couple of months, but goes soft after a month's storage.

Anyway, I decided to take a photo before I wrapped it up as it doesn't need picking for a few more weeks, and I think the temptation would be too great for our resident Blackbirds and Thrushes.
Apple tree.jpg
Apple tree.jpg (212.9 KiB) Viewed 13081 times
Apple tree2.jpg
Apple tree2.jpg (199.51 KiB) Viewed 13081 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Productive apple tree

Our fruit trees are all in pots. No fruit as yet but it's encouraging to see the lidl trees do fruit well - even if they are wrongly labelled. Are they tasty?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wish I had done all my fruit trees as step overs or something now, the rooks come down and peck every ripe apple, usually just once, a big beak into each lovely apple. Looks a lovely productive little tree

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I get that problem too, plus the heavy birds break branches off the pear trees. The Discovery tree was loaded with fruit before they were ripe, I think we got about a dozen when they were ripe, and then had to cut the pecked bits out.

This is probably my second best small tree, again it's supposed to be "Redlove", which it isn't. Redlove are supposed to be dark red all over and the flesh is supposed to be red as well.
Apple3.jpg
Apple3.jpg (251.15 KiB) Viewed 13055 times
And this is my most productive bigger tree. This is a Newton Wonder and is a Bramley like cooker, keeps for 6 months and is then sweet enough to eat raw. The rooks don't like this one for some reason but the Blackbirds do, although they wait until it's ripe and due for picking anyway.
Apple4.jpg
Apple4.jpg (258.65 KiB) Viewed 13055 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.