best grape variety midlands

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
chickenlicker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

best grape variety midlands

Hi everyone

I'd like to plant a grape vine to grow up and over our pergola. It's in a sunny spot most of the day but not against a wall.

Does anyone have any experience growing grape vines in these conditions in the midlands and what varieties would you recommend?

Ideally, I'd like one white and one black and would like to have them growing over the top to provide shade, so any advice on pruning or not also welcome!

:sunny:

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: best grape variety midlands

I can't offer any advice as I'm also new to growing vines but I'll just say that I used to drink a lovely wine that was from grapes grown in Shropshire so evidently it can be done very well around that part of the UK.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Re: best grape variety midlands

I live in Malvern, Worcs and have a Muscat de polo vine which is going great guns. It's in its second year and there are 12 bunches of grapes on it. I'm growing it against a south facing shed wall. I did dig a load of manure into the ground prior to planting and I think this has given it a good start.

With regards to pruning, limit your first year to one leader, pinch out side shoots at 2 nodes (The knuckle shape where leaves and flowers sprout). Year 2 onwards: you can keep 1 leader or allow it to split into 2 leaders and pinch out the side shoots at 2 nodes. Once it's established, do your hard pruning in January, to shape it how you want it to go. You can take cuttings at this time too. Cut the stem (Semi ripe wood, or last years growth) about an inch above and two inches below the node, scrape the bark off 2 sides of the bottom 1/2 inch with your thumbnail down to the cambium (green under-bark). Insert the cuttings into equal parts potting compost and sharp sand and keep moist until they sprout. Rooting hormone will help strike rate, but I have had good success without.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.