Transplanting Raspberries

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
stonethrower
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Transplanting Raspberries

when is the correct time to do this?
my cousin has told me to help myself to some
the man that made time . . . . he made plenty of it

sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

Re: Transplanting Raspberries

So glad you posted this! I need the same advice. Hopefully we can get a general "x number of weeks before or after frost."
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux

marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hessayon says October or November but Harry Dodson says any time from oct to mid march. As the season is late starting this year I'm sure you could stretch the point and do it now.

I moved some of mine that had migrated from their rows in February as I happened to be tidying that area of the garden and shredded the old canes as a mulch to keep down the weeds. Dodson suggests mulching the newly transplanted canes with very strawy manure to protect against frost. The danger being frost could lift the new plants and break the fragile, newly formed roots.

Do you know if you have summer or autumn fruiting? Either way it's as well to cut the plants down to 6 - 9 inches so the new roots have less top to support. If they are autumn fruiting you would do this anyway as they fruit on the same years canes and if summer fruiting you would cut down bought canes to help them establish- you get a better crop next year. You will treat them differently in the future so it's a good idea to find out!

Water well if dry April & May and then late may/early June mulch well with well rotted manure or compost. Pay special attention to keeping the roots moist and weed free this year.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

prison break fan

I am planning on doing mine as soon as it stops raining! If they are autumn fruiting ones, now is the time, just as they are coming to life. I don't know much about summer ones as I don't grow them. The autumn ones are much easier to look after. Good luck. pbf.

bonniethomas06

I have just planted out mine in mid march if that isany consolation, and I already have some new shoots coming up.

Hope they will re-root though, I was pretty brutal with the mattock when I divided the parent patch - some didn't have any fiberous roots at all :scratch:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

grahamhobbs

The general principal is that bare rooted plants are preferably planted in autumn because the air is getting colder, so the leaves stop growing, but the soil is warm so the roots keep growing so helping the plant to get established.
As spring arrives the air is getting warmer, so the plant wants to produce leaves, but the soil is still cold so the roots lag behind. This means that the plant can get overstretched, can't support the fresh new leaf growth and therefore suffers.
If you are planting with the roots undisturbed, eg from a pot or with plenty of soil around the roots, you can plant at any time, although in dry weather especially the plants will need plenty of water to get the roots to establish themselves.
Having said all that, rasberries in my experience are tough as old boots, so will tolerate some abuse - so plant away, cut them back if they are already in lots of leaf and keep them well watered.

stonethrower

thanks all :cheers:
the man that made time . . . . he made plenty of it

ADG
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am glad I read this , now the question is do I only re plant 6 so if they fail its only 6 but if they take do I kick my self for not moving 18, or do I risk doing all 18? lol