Bicarbonate of Soda

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Bicarbonate of Soda

Everyone raves about how great this is and it has so many uses, cleaning teeth, surfaces, hair etc. I think it is great and use it to clean that bathroom, so I got to thinking about what I would do if I could no longer easily get my hands on the stuff and if I could make it myself, (thinking it might be from some kind of rock or something) I looked here http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6752224_make- ... -soda.htmlbut it turns out that making it is a pretty complicated and dangerous process with some unplesant sounding leftover bits, definately not something you could make at home.

So I was wondering what people make of this, is it so eco friendly after all?
What could you use as an alternative if you couldn't get your hands on it any more?

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bicarbonate of Soda

I use it too, my oven is sparkling clean from using soda to clean it instead of foamy oven cleaner which is really toxic, I know I can put the water down the sink and it won't harm my septic tank. It is available here in large bags and is labelled as bread soda, so it gets consumed in large quantities. I thought I being being eco friendly and now perhaps I'm not???

The Riff-Raff Element

From a chemist's point of view, it doesn't look that hazardous :mrgreen: Nothing particularly toxic and nothing to go bang.

I agree that the production is not totally benign, though neither is it too damaging. The process (called the Solvay process) uses quite low levels of energy, consumes raw materials that are available in plentiful supply and produces wastes that (unless one is completely negligent) should not be polluting. Compared to the alternatives (detergents and so on) it is pretty good.

Helsbells

That's reassuring Jon, thanks! Where do they get the raw materials do you know?

The Riff-Raff Element

The basic inputs are salt (sodium chloride) and limestone (calcium carbonate). The process uses ammonia, but it is regenerated so only a little needs to be added to make up losses. The products are bicarb and calcium chloride, the latter of which is benign enough to be used as road salt or simply discharged to sea water (not fresh water - it would not be good in a freshwater environment).

I think some bicarb may still be produced by mining of soda ash (sodium carbonate, washing soda).

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

I happen to have rather a large jar of bicarb, bought for some recipe but I rarely use it. Am pleasantly surprised that it is good for cleaning: how do you use it, and what for exactly? And how long does it keep, do you know?
Thanks!
Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset UK: http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it lasts ages. Uses are add a cup in the washing machine as a good degreaser and cleaner for very soiled clothes. if you have a glass oven door put some onto a damp cloth and rub, it will get all the grease off the door, use in the oven as well on the bits that aren't self cleaning, works really well and doesn't have the toxic stink of squirty oven cleaner. If you have jam jars you want to get a smell out of, soak them in a bowl of hot water with a couple of tablespoons of bicarb, usually does the trick. A good method to clean the drains and pipes, teacup of salt, teacup of bicarb pour down toilet or over plughole of sink and then add one teacup of vinegar to make a foaming bomb, leave up to one hour then flush or run water down sink. Keep a pot of soda in the bottom of the fridge as a deodouriser. Clean your teeth with it ....... the list goes on and on

The Riff-Raff Element

Be careful to use only food grade bicarb for teeth, though: the stuff that you find in the baking section.

Make "Shake 'n' Vac" - add a few drops of essential oil to a jar of bicarb and sprinkle over the carpet before vaccing.

happyhippy

diggernotdreamer wrote:I use it too, my oven is sparkling clean from using soda to clean it instead of foamy oven cleaner which is really toxic, I know I can put the water down the sink and it won't harm my septic tank. It is available here in large bags and is labelled as bread soda, so it gets consumed in large quantities. I thought I being being eco friendly and now perhaps I'm not???
Hi DND,I've tried the bi carb on my oven before and did'nt have alot of success unfortunately.I tried applying with a damp cloth to no avail.Am I doing something wrong cause I'd love it to work? :iconbiggrin:

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I add it to tooth paste to whiten my teeth.
And i wash my hair with it- about 4tbsp mixed into a liter jug of hot water, pour over hair and massage in and rinse off well with warm water. You can then use a lemon juice rinse for conditioner.
I also use a deodorant bar which has bi carb in it, although i didn't make it, i bought it from LUSH and it's also paraben and SLS free, it smells nice, keeps you fresh as well as any regular deodorant and it lasts for ages. I bought this one in the summer and i'v still got half of it left.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

[ I
Hi DND,I've tried the bi carb on my oven before and did'nt have alot of success unfortunately.I tried applying with a damp cloth to no avail.Am I doing something wrong cause I'd love it to work? :iconbiggrin:[/quote]

Ooh I don't know what is happening there, i just sprinkle it on the inside of the glass door and then with a just damp cloth rub away at it, seems to cut through any grease, you do need a bit more elbow grease on the inside, if you have stubborn grease and burnt on stuff, I find a bohemian blade or a blunt stanley knife blade to carefully scrape it off.

The Riff-Raff Element

Myself, for oven cleaning, I use sodium carbonate (washing soda).

silly_sammy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

For toothpaste- use bicarb soda, water and a little coconut oil. Even a few drops of peppermint oil. or infuse some mint in the water beforehand. Teeth come out lovely!

Also great for homemade cleaners, getting the smell out of your wet dog, shake n vac, a paste of it applied on bites and stings. I love bicarb soda :cheers:

Also, I make all my own cleaners- would love to swap recipes or share mine with people :wave:

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

I found some sodium bicarbonate in the cupboard yesterday with a use by date of 2007.
It was dry and perfectly useable. So I gave some to my daughter to put in her recent e bay purchases
A fridge and freezer for her new house.
I think it's silly to put use by dates on things like this.
I am not one for throwing stuff out that's perfectly useable u never know when u might need it.

happyhippy

I've recently made this spray,and its nothing short of a miracle!I make up a batch and decant into my old eco spray bottles.I use it on kitchen surfaces,spray the toilets,and bathroom,clean the fridge etc with it.
I make up a thick paste using the same ingredients,so with everything added,it probably makes 300ml.I wipe this over the inside of my oven,racks,and inside door.Wow amazing!I left it for an hour,and my oven came out looking brand new.
1.5 litres of water (1 cup of it boiled)
300ml White Vinegar
60ml Dishwashing liq
3 dessertspoons Soda Crystals
Option:You can add 25 ml of essential oil of your choice.(I don't use oil as I think it smells nice without it)
Mix the Soda Crystals with the cup of boiling water to dissolve.Add remaining ingredients (be careful,use a large bowl as it will fizz and rise)and then decant into spray bottles.