Laundry balls

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

Laundry balls

Hi all, sorry if this is a topic elsewhere, I have searched loads and can only find references but not a full thread!
Anyway, laundry balls...did a search and find from Wilki there are several sorts some of which actually contain detergent and some that are cons. Has anyone got a recommendation for the best ones. Want to try them in UK as like the idea of less water, chemical etc.
Also, for Portugal home.... any idea whether they would work in a twin tub washing machine?? :dontknow: No "wash cycle", agitated till looks clean, just filled with solar heated water and cooled to whatever temp seems "right" for the wash load using the hand test method! If no solar water...cold water warmed with water heated on the woodburner.
Thanks
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

SaveSomeGreen
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Laundry balls

Hey there,

I am biased as I sell soapnuts, but I have avoided the eco balls as they never seem to have achieved all that much in my experience, plus being made out of plastic kinda puts me off too..

Soapnuts however have done me proud for 3 years or so now along with helping me get rid of slugs after. For me it would be soapnuts all the way (I am biased though I know)

http://www.savesomegreen.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=16

for more info about them, if you fancy a read.

Good luck

James
Frugal is it's own reward

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk
Saving the Environment and your pocket

battybird

Soapnuts were the other alternative although would not save water as far as I can see! Have sent for a sample to try when we go to Portugal. Interesting read!! opinion (as always) seems split about whether either option works as well as detergent or ecover but I am up for trying anything.
Ruth

SaveSomeGreen

yeah always a fair mix of opinion, none will save water though.

I just go with the lowest level of manufacturing, closet link to natural that way, seems a reasonable line to walk down to me...

none will work as well as manufactured cleaners however as they have added bleaches etc... but you can add boosters for really heavy washes.... means you use less again...

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk

battybird

Wont the need for less rinsing mean a reduction in water use? :?

SaveSomeGreen

fair point, wasn't thinking about that, although you dont need to rinse much with soapnuts either, they don't foam up as much as manufactured powders so less to get rid of.

I clearly love my sopanuts don't I... lol

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk

Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've tried 'eco balls' and soapnuts and wasn't very impressed with either. Tbh, I found it equally effective using just water as using the eco balls, and although the soapnuts did seem to clean a bit more than that, I really disliked the smell they have. I know that's a trvial and personal thing but part of the sensual feeling of having lovely clean clothes is the clean clothes smell, and I just gagged when I inhaled my soapnutted clothes.

So, I've gone back to Ecover, but every other wash or so I just do without detergent of any kind. In a modern washing machine, which I have (A rated!), the main washing effect comes from its action anyway I reckon. So unless my kids have been wading in the mud (which to be fair they do quite often do), I try not to use any detergent, or sometimes just a small amount and I haven't noticed any change in how clean our clothes are.
Liz

SaveSomeGreen

Yeah, I can certainly agree that I miss that just washed smell. I found coconut oil was the best remedy. A few drops in the fabric conditioner tray did wonders. It is almost certianly deadly however waking up and finding all you bedclothes smelling so tasty. Often missing a pillow :D

Mint was quite nice too but old favorites like lavender seem to be very popular.

as for kids wading around in mud... well lord help me.... my gorgeous little lad is coming up to 6 months and I am safe for a bit.... a bit...

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I use both soap nuts and the eco balls. I like both for dark colours that aren't too heavily soiled - which is most of my work clothes but also my gardening/diy kit that will never be too clean anyway. I can't really tell much difference between them. I use Co-op eco washing liquid for light colours. I can't use fabric conditioner of any sort as I'm allergic to perfume and all of the options seem to leave my clothes soft enough not to need it.

Zoe

pelmetman

I am wondering how people used to get clothes clean before washing powders etc. I remember going back some years we bought a fishermans cottage in Brightlingsea and the previous owner left a scrubbing board, which I have to admit we didn't use. It was a piece of ridged glass with a wood border.

Also when in the Carribean we've watched the women washing their clothes in the local rivers literally beating their clothes on stones and their clothes look whiter than white.

:flower: Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

battybird

Never di try the laundry balls, out in Portugal for a few weeks and trying soapnuts as did get round to getting some of them! I have found that they do not seem to last as well with a twin tub...maybe the amount of water....temp? I only got two washes (which is in fact about 5 loads equivalant to individual auto machine loads!!) and had to put them in hot water for a few minutes to get them to "start", they got the clothes lovely and clean even the work jeans my husband had caked in sandy mud. Have just used the old nuts for floor cleaner and washed all the floors too...not bad! Still owrks out cheaper than detergent and, as we drain the machine onto the garden, is much preferable. Dont know if the laundry balls would have the same issues, cannot find a thread with twin tub machines mentioned!!?? :scratch:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Don't think many people use twin tubs these days Ruth. Apart from all the extra work they involve, storing them is quite difficult in most modern kitchens.

Although I do have happy memories of helping my aunt do the washing in hers. :iconbiggrin:

Edited cos I hadn't finished writing it - that'll teach me to post at bedtime :lol:

Anyway I just wanted to add that I like the idea of them - they're much better in terms of water use etc but they're so time consuming - it'd be back to Monday washday :pale:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin