nice washing tablets!

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
buzzybee
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

nice washing tablets!

I dont know if this is new to you all, being new here myself, but i get my washing tablets from Morrisons after i noticed these a while ago in there i used to use ecover powder, but I found that it didnt always wash brilliantly, especially on my boyfriends work clothes (being an electrician they require a bit of heavy duty washing to get them clean), somewtimes they came out smelling musty, which isnt that great when you pay the price for the product. These ones I get now are 'simply active' http://www.simplywashing.com, and are a powder tab that comes in a dissolving plastic. they have an EU eco label, apparently the first in the UK to do so (im reading the leaflet about them now) and are also approved by the vegan society. it says to use 2 tabs per wash but unless its heavy denims etc I just use one and its fine. and they can be used for handwashing, although I use a different liquid for that job. they come in a plastic tub like ice creams come in now, and they seem to last me ages, and it doesnt cost the earth!
Most of this seems fairly different to me from some of the other products on the market, so I thought I'd promote it a bit. apologies if you all heard about it ages ago!

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: nice washing tablets!

Oh... I bought some of these to try but couldn't stand the smell - so strong compared to my non bio ecover - also it seriously irritated both my skin, and my son's skin too so we didn't even finish using the tub. That was the sensitive skin one too!

I can't remember the full details but remember being somewhat underwhelmed by the EU labelling info.

Sorry - not meaning to rain on your bonfire but just adding my opinion. :flower:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am still embarrassingly using el Cheapo McCheap (supermarkets own economy brand) I know I shouldn't, but for this one I find greener alternatives sooooo much more expensive and I am a bit too mad about cleaning and hygiene to use either soapnuts or nothing.

I might have a wee look see at morrisons though, if it is truly more ethical and reasonably priced.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

buzzybee

no problems Shirlz, I just posted incase it helps someone. I've never had those problems that some people have with washing products, interesting to note that they aren't as great as they claim for you. also I had no idea whether that EU thing was any good, Im not really politically active but the EU doesnt generally fill me with joy!
Also AnnPan I completely understand your reasons for using el cheapo mccheep cheep, it was only my research for my dissertation that stopped me. My boyfriends sister is of the same opinions as me with the amount of chemicals she uses, but she has two young boys so she finds it easier to use a well known high street brand because of the amount of washing she does.I dont know whether you can get free samples if ou go to the website, rather than buying a tub, cos it is a few quid. I find it economical, but I dont have children. just a boyfriend that seems to roll in mud!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Annpan: the site is selfsufficientish. so please dont' beat yourself up.
Asda economy for us. it's one of the few economy powders which don't send me red. it cleans well and lasts fricking ages.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've used the Simply washing tablets but they are really spensive! I get them from S@insburys if I'm in there & they are on offer (pretty infrequently then as we just realised we'd not been to S@insburys for 6 weeks now!). They didn't cause my OH's skin any probs but then I only ever use one tablet of anything in the wash! Ran out of Ecover & couldn't get to shops so bought some Acdo from corner shop this week & its brill at cleaning nappies! I used to use that all the time when I was a student & I forgot how well it works! Probably full of nasties but I only got a small box :roll:
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

hedgewitch

You guys not tried Soapnuts?

Soapnut shells are economical (from only 3 pence a wash compared to 25 pence for a standard non-bio)

They leave your laundry fresh, clean and soft eliminating the need for softeners.

Because they are natural and chemical free they are gentle on your skin and clothes. Suitable for sensitive skin, allergy and eczema sufferers.

Soft enough for your whole family.

Click here for more info

AND you can have a free trial for the price of a stamp.

I've been using these for the past few months now and I am just so impressed with them !!
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yep, I used Soapnuts but they didn't get nappies clean nor my OH's work shirts :(
Last edited by Ratty on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

buzzybee

wowzer, can't believe how many people have tried these and dont like them! I must either have really low standards with washing or be talking about something different to the rest of you! I was thinking about trying those eco balls too, are they any good or am I about to open another can of worms?? :wink: !

Shirley

buzzybee wrote:wowzer, can't believe how many people have tried these and dont like them! I must either have really low standards with washing or be talking about something different to the rest of you! I was thinking about trying those eco balls too, are they any good or am I about to open another can of worms?? :wink: !
I think some of the comments about them not working are about soap nuts and not about the Simply Washing stuff. :flower:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

buzzybee

oh hurrah!. I never was very good at following a conversation...

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

I use them for whites and really, really dirty stuff (like when the kids have been playing in the marshes on The Wash) but otherwise I use soap nuts. Both of them work really well for what I use them for and I love them both. The thing about soap nuts (which a lot of people don't seem to like) is that there's no smell when you use them. The clothes just smell of clothes, not of perfume. Believe me, if you'd smelled my husband's t-shirts before they went in the wash, you'd know what a good thing that was!

Interesting, isn't it, how much we go by smell. For instance, I run antenatal and baby massage classes and I need dolls for both. Being a cheapskate, I've bought lifesize dolls from Woolworths rather than the "proper" massage dolls since the Woolworths version are about one fifth of the price of massage dolls. They work just as well, but every doll I've bought is infused with the smell of Johnson's baby lotion, as if that's what a baby is supposed to smell like. Yuk!

Lynne

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

lsm1066 wrote:... every doll I've bought is infused with the smell of Johnson's baby lotion, as if that's what a baby is supposed to smell like. Yuk!

Lynne
Yes, someone gave my wee girl a doll that smells like that, makes me feel nauseous. I ran it through the washing machine though, which made the smell fade but it is not gone altogether.

I just don't trust soap nuts, sorry. I did have big problems with hygiene (bordering on obsessive compulsive) also, no, I don't really want my clothes smelling of clothes, I want them to smell fresh. I do hang everything outside though, so the Cheapo McCheap smell is taken away somewhat. Someone gave us some surf, and boy does it stink :pukeright:

Oh, and I do use ecover on Shorty's things, but it just can't cope with my stinkys :oops:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Shirley

We've borrowed a sweatshirt for J's first day at school today (the order hasn't come through yet!!) and my friend uses 'normal' washing powder of unknown (to me) brand and it smells so strongly of washing powder - actually the smell makes me feel ill so I hope it doesn't bother J too much today.

Oh, and yes I did shed a wee tear as the landrover bus drove off with him in the back of it. :flower:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, congratulations Shirlz (and J, of course)... yikes, hope he is OK...did you get the obligatory photo of his first day at school?
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay