No rubbish fortnight

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: No rubbish fortnight

This week is a much rubbish fortnight. The elderly huge printer went to the electrical bin at the local household waste recycling centre. Of course there is all the packaging left over from the new one. There's a huge number of empty compost sacks to go to the same place from the allotment shed at some point. And the house is gradually seeing a clearing of rubbish which has collected and appears to be pointless. So at the moment it's a much rubbish fortnight(s). Still we shall get to the bottom of stuff.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Flo wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:03 am Nah - let the world know what's become of these unwanted bags. :mrgreen:
I'll try to do that.
Funny thing is with the compost heaps , wood burner, recycling and garden waste bins we have very little actual rubbish to go in our bin. Certainly very little "domestic" rubbish. Sometimes I do produce shavings and offcuts from treated timber which end up in there ( I won't burn or compost it) but more often than not it's other people's rubbish . I work at people's houses and quite often have to take stuff away and I could either put it in our bin or spend time and fuel taking it to our local tip.

Flo

Other people are the worst source of rubbish quite often.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

It's recently gotten a tad worse round by us since the council have started to charge for dumping certain stuff. Our garden waste bins cost £36 a year ( and I don't understand why some have waited until nearly June to sign up) , bags of rubble cost £4 to dump , a toilet or sink the same and there are also charges for tyres and double glazed units . I get people ask me if I will get rid of rubbish for them which I will for a cost and most of the time the quantities aren't huge and the bin suffices.

Flo

Your charges sound about the same as ours Skippy. Mind you, small electricals such as computer printers, radios, TVs, can be put in the appropriate skip free of charge. If you have a car to get there. Dunno about big things like cookers and fridges.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:45 pm Dunno about big things like cookers and fridges
Here everything that's deemed electrical is free to recycle. We pay an up front charge of a few Euro when you buy a new electrical for the eventual recycling.
Everything that has a mains plug or has batteries (including batteries) are free to dump.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

PurpleMcGowan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Facebook Name: Ali McGowan

This has been an interesting read.
About a year ago our council swapped our refuse and recycling bins round. Our recycling bin is now the big black bin and our refuse bin is now the tiny green bin which only fit 2 full black bags and emptied fortnightly. A few weeks back I got sick of struggling with this and tried to cut down my waste (We are a family of four)
Four a weekly food shop I have always menued it all out and only bought what we needed and tried to stick to fresh food due to an illness I have, but since I was no able to get to the local shops again I decided to take it one step further.
I take my own reusable tubs to the butcher and he put my meat in them, well the ones that will fit.
I buy fruit n veg from the grocer and only use paper bags if it actually needs on, everything else I leave loose.
I buy my milk in paper cartons with no plastic top that state 'recyclable', same with anything else I can find boxed.
We don't eat crisps, chocolate, bikkies etc due to my management diet and I try to avoid as much packaged stuff as possible.
All food waste goes to the councils compost site (meat, cooked food, the lot)
I use re-usables for my monthly so no waste there either.
I've not been able to completely cut out plastic packaging, but have noticed a large reduction. I just need to confiscate the bathroom bin as this is big source of slip ups.
I'm going to keep trying of course :)
Its Better To Be Mad Than Boring