Marigolds

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
dmwcarol
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Marigolds

Not the rubber gloves!

Another things I noted from Mum's book was that Pot Marigold (the common garden plant) used to be considered an edible herb, although the leaves are a bit on the bitter side.

I've used the flower petals in salads before, but the book also notes that if you dry the petals you can grind them up and use in place of saffron.

I'm going to have to try this, but it doesn't say how you dry the flowers - would hanging them in bunches to air dry work or do I have to do something more complicated?

Carol

Tay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Harvest the herbs on a dry day and divide them into small bunches. Strip a few leaves away from the base of the stem so that they can be tied in neat bunches without mould forming on the stem. Tie the stems firmly, and hang the bunches in a warm, airy place away from direct sunlight.

Flowers and leaves can also be dried spread on wire racks, paper or in shallow baskets. Place the containers in a dry, airy place and gently turn over each day.

HTH.

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

Theh dried petals make a nice addition to homemade soap. Fresh petals can be made into a very nice wine, or added, chopped, to scones.
visit my Creative Living forum
unboughtdelicacies
Radical sanity - it's the way to go.

2steps
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

pot marigold (calendula) also has medicinal uses - it has great antiseptic and anti fungal properties, can be used to soothe ulcers and slow healing wounds and soothe nappy rash, cradle cap and sore nipples