How did the Romans or old French farms dry & store chestnuts

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: How did the Romans or old French farms dry & store chest

I've had my chestnut flour stored in a jar in the kitchen cupboard for the last eight months. I made a batch of biscuits with it last week and noticed that it's starting to lose its flavour. The biscuits were fine, just a little less chestnutty than when the flour was fresh.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Steve Hanson
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 46260984
longitude: 01440132

My wife stores them in jars, first she peals them and rubs off the fur then she packs them in to Kilner jars and sterilises them for 20 minutes at 11pond of pressure in a pressure cooker. 100% success rate and we have chestnut and chocolate cake any time of year we like, of course the cake is best in the autumn with fresh chestnuts like all good food, but sometime you just have to have chestnut and chocolate cake out of season especially if you don't eat annual grains. Chestnuts are great in all sorts of other recipes too soups, breads, meat substitute and many others things.
Simple, Economical and Purposeful Living

http://www.permacultureeden.com/

Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.
Kahlil Gibran
steve@permacultureeden.com

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I think that calls for a recipe, Steve. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin