Hello, I am new

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hello, I am new

Hello, I am new, I want to be self sufficient, but I only have a little garden and I am 24th on a waiting list of 25 for an allotment. That means 25 people have to die before I will get one!!

Yesterday I planted some seeds in a seed tray, but today when I told people at work, they all laughed becauae I had planted root veg, and apparently they are supposed to go straight into the ground. Oh well, live and learn.

glenniedragon

Hang on in there, if you are in an area with allotments further afield and you're mobile put your name down there as well, some church parishes have allotments too. You don't just have to plant outside- use windowsills, shelves, bathrooms even under the bed!
welcome to the site!

Kind thoughts
Deb

red

welcome

don't be put off by other people - its all a learning experience.

I have successfully grown the stubby round carrots in a large pot before
and i have started beetroot in modules and then put them out as teeny plants very carefully - its worked a treat

this year I am trying starting parsnips in toilet roll tubes - we shall see if that works

so yah boo.. what do those people at work know. nuffin! :mrgreen:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Shirley

hear hear - do NOT be dissuaded by the people at work... get yourself some good tubs, remember that your garden might be limited in size on the GROUND but you can always grow UPWARDS - hanging baskets etc, pots on the wall etc..

Anyway - :welcomeish: I'm sure we'll all enjoy hearing the reactions from your workmates once you show them the fruits (& veggies) of your labour. :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Bonniegirl

Aww don't worry about them, bet they don't grow anything!

Good luck with the veggies
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

Millymollymandy

Hello and welcome to the forum and good luck with your veggie planting.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Welcome, Helsbells.

There's only one place you need to go for advice. And that's here :cheers:

I've learnt so much since I joined up.

Zoe

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thomzo wrote:Welcome, Helsbells.

There's only one place you need to go for advice. And that's here :cheers:

I've learnt so much since I joined up.

Zoe
Here, here!

Welcome Helsbells :wave:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Helsbells

thankyou

thanks all for your comments, very encouraging.
I have now planted some sress mustard and alfalfa on my kitchen window sill. I also bought one of those plastic greet house things thats like a stack of sheves with a clear plastic jacket on so I can use more space.

Smooth Hound
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi, how big is your garden, you dont need alot of space if you use it right, and you dont have to worry about people taking the mick on here, we are all in the same boat as Bob M says rocking down the same road.
Mike

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Root veg can be started off in pots as many things can. I am going to grow some parsnips in toilet rolls then plant the hole roll into the ground. In general though most are grown straight in the ground, although dwarf varieties of many veg plants can be bought and they will happily grow in pots.

Good luck with the years planting and welcome to the forum.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Helsbells

garden

Hi,
My garden is about 10m by 10m sequren, (approx. with a little patio, ) It is south facing which is rather good, but there are quite a few established plants taking up space. If I had my way the whole thing would be for growing veg, but my boyfriend wants to keep a bit of garden for parties, bbq's sunbathing etc.
I first apoplied for an allotment in my local area, but they said the waiting list was so long they they were not putting any more people on it! So I contacted another Local authority, and got on the waiting list for one about 4 miles away. Obvuousely would rather have ahd one in walking distance, but I could ride my bike there.
I like the idea of growing veg in toilet roll tubes, I have also started collecing margarine tubs, takaway containers, and large bottles (I thought chop the top off and would make a good plant pot?)

9ball
Living the good life
Living the good life

:welcomeish:

Watch out for wind with the mini greenhouse, I recently got a couple in the garden and lost a load of my seedlings as they got blown around. The ones I've managed to save might have got a bit mixed up as well - so there might be the odd basil plant mixed in with the iceberg lettuces. Should be interesting :)
Tom

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

:flower: Hello and welcome :flower:
A true friend tells you what you need to hear , not what you want to hear!

Kiwi
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi there,
you might be interested in having a look at the Green Building thread, go to the forum page and scroll down, open up a post about straw bales, in there is one about planting veges in straw bales, I recon they would be perfect for the small garden because you can place them around the edge and grow all sorts in them, and dress them up with pots etc... you can reuse the broken down straw to start a no dig garden afterwards....
good luck with the veges and don't take any notice of the mockers, I transplant all sorts here, peas, carrots corn, parsnip and I shift my roses, prune my trees and generally do anything in my garden I want without taking too much notice of the gardening rules, if you are gentle with the plants they will survive...