Hi from Spain (soon)

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Heggsy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi from Spain (soon)

Hello all, :wave:

Although currently living near Reading, I'll soon be moving to Spain, where I'll be learning about how to become self-sufficient(ish) from the status of complete newbie. We'll be living on 5000m2 (about 1 1/4 acres) of what was farmland. The soil seems to be excellent (although I'm no expert :scratch: ) and I really look forward to your advice on the where, what, why and how of growing as much of our own food as possible.

I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this site and can only apologise in advance for the million or so stupid questions I'll be asking over the coming months / years.

H

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Hi from Spain (soon)

Welcome
I am in Spain!
Whereabouts will you be?

And expect loads of comments from locals, as to it being the wrong time to plant whatever it is, or its not the right moon, or similar! :lol:

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello and welcome. I used to live in Wokingham and now live in a bog in Ireland, I must have taken a wrong turn, but we are sort of self sufficient in veg and alpaca fluff

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Best of luck and enjoy every moment

Heggsy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

niknik wrote:Welcome
I am in Spain!
Whereabouts will you be?

And expect loads of comments from locals, as to it being the wrong time to plant whatever it is, or its not the right moon, or similar! :lol:
I'm going to be near a place called San Pascual in Valencia region (Dolores and Almoradi, just south of Alicante, are the nearest towns). Where are you?

So, Spanish farmers / gardners are the same as everywhere else, then? There's a million ways to do something wrong and only one way to do it right...theirs! :iconbiggrin:

Heggsy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

diggernotdreamer wrote:Hello and welcome. I used to live in Wokingham and now live in a bog in Ireland, I must have taken a wrong turn, but we are sort of self sufficient in veg and alpaca fluff
A stone's throw from us (Wokingham that is, not the bog in Ireland). We are in Lower Earley just now. I'm just starting to sort out the removals to Spain, which is proving to be more painful than I'd hoped.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

I´m further South in Andalucia, in Almeria province, in the Almanzora Valley.

No idea about Valencia way, but in Andalucia, they did have quite substantial grants available for farming . to set up/improve, etc...
esp if going organic. That can be for machinery , or irrigation pipes, or anything really. so worth looking into once you are here.

Best way to work out what the locals are planting is to go to the local markets and see what the plant/ seedling merchants are offering!

If the locals are buying them, then , the plants are suitable for the location/time of year!

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Heggsy.

We are in Portugal (moved from Woking and really miss the True Food Co-op at Lower Earley!) and recently used a company to move our stuff down for 1/4th of the price quoted by the UK company who have been storing it for us. Very straightforward and the guys who unloaded at the house were brilliant - the only 'issue' was that our stuff arrived two days earlier than expected! I don't work for them, just a happy customer. Don't worry about the website name - they do removals to Spain too.

http://www.removalstoportugal.com

Good luck with the move.
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

Heggsy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

niknik wrote:I´m further South in Andalucia, in Almeria province, in the Almanzora Valley.

No idea about Valencia way, but in Andalucia, they did have quite substantial grants available for farming . to set up/improve, etc...
esp if going organic. That can be for machinery , or irrigation pipes, or anything really. so worth looking into once you are here.

Best way to work out what the locals are planting is to go to the local markets and see what the plant/ seedling merchants are offering!

If the locals are buying them, then , the plants are suitable for the location/time of year!
Good advice, niknik, thank you. :thumbright:

Heggsy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Uller wrote:Hi Heggsy.

We are in Portugal (moved from Woking and really miss the True Food Co-op at Lower Earley!) and recently used a company to move our stuff down for 1/4th of the price quoted by the UK company who have been storing it for us. Very straightforward and the guys who unloaded at the house were brilliant - the only 'issue' was that our stuff arrived two days earlier than expected! I don't work for them, just a happy customer. Don't worry about the website name - they do removals to Spain too.

http://www.removalstoportugal.com

Good luck with the move.
I'll give them a look. Some of the prices I've been seeing are frightening.

Thank you for the help. :thumbright:

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello and welcome. We moved out to Bulgaria last May. We only have half an acre but that is plenty for chooks and veg. And we have lots of outhouses if we decide to keep animals (sheep and goats go out with the village shepherd every day)

Growing veg the Bulgarian way is a totally new ball game, but we are learning.

thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Just wanted to wish you luck with your new adventure, sounds amazing :iconbiggrin:
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Heggsy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

tosca wrote:Hello and welcome. We moved out to Bulgaria last May. We only have half an acre but that is plenty for chooks and veg. And we have lots of outhouses if we decide to keep animals (sheep and goats go out with the village shepherd every day)

Growing veg the Bulgarian way is a totally new ball game, but we are learning.
I'm looking forward to the learning...doing something new and unfamiliar is scary; but a good scary! :icon_smile:

Heggsy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

thesunflowergal wrote:Just wanted to wish you luck with your new adventure, sounds amazing :iconbiggrin:
Thank you. I can't wait to get started. The weather just now makes me more impatient than ever to get going. Definitely need some :sunny:

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi there! I garden in Spain too! I'm based in Las Alpujarras in the Granada region. You may be interested in a seed bank I've just started especially as you are aiming to be self-sufficient! Go on facebook and search for SEED-Semillas Español En Depósito. I also have a gardening group called Huerta Alpujarra. Good luck in your exciting new life, there's nothing like gardening in Spain! :icon_smile: