Hi from '1940s' Cornwall

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
MeganW
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi from '1940s' Cornwall

Hi everyone,

My name is Megan and I'm a freelance writer/Jack of all trades living in Cornwall. For a few years I've been growing a selection of vegetables in my back garden but recently I've become more and more interested in the idea of being Selfsufficientish as part of a book I'm writing on the 1940s home front. As part of this I'm exploring some of the realities of living with rationing, Dig for Victory and Make do and Mend. So much was unavailable that I've started thinking of lots of new ways of doing things, which is where this website is coming in very useful. Going back in time has been a bit of a learning curve but I'm getting into the swing of it now (I've just started month four of the year!)

So if anyone has any tips on traditional ways of doing things, I'd be very glad to hear them!

Megan

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Hi from '1940s' Cornwall

Hi Megan, welcome to Ish :wave:

Hope you're not suggesting we're a bunch of old fogeys! :lol: (Well with the exception of MKG and oldjerry of course!) :lol:

Good luck with the research - sounds like fun. I'm sure you'll find lots on here to help - and if you're selling any black market pork keep me in mind :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi there and welcome :wave:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

MeganW

Haha, no I'm not suggesting that you're all fogeys - just that lots of the principles of self-sufficiency also suit the wartime way of life.

Black market pork would be very welcome at the moment! Ah, never mind.
Green Aura wrote:Hi Megan, welcome to Ish :wave:

Hope you're not suggesting we're a bunch of old fogeys! :lol: (Well with the exception of MKG and oldjerry of course!) :lol:

Good luck with the research - sounds like fun. I'm sure you'll find lots on here to help - and if you're selling any black market pork keep me in mind :lol:

becks77

Hello and welcome :wave:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

StripyPixieSocks

Hello welcome to ish :)

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

sounds wonderful, I look forward to hearing all about it
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

bonniethomas06

Hello and welcome :wave:

Sounds fascinating, I am quite jealous of your 1940's pursuits. I was an eccentric child, and went through phases of living like a child from various historical eras. Even when my fellow classmates mocked me for coming in with a specially made victorian pinnafore and ringlets, I persisted (this was about the time 'Five Children and It' was on TV).

One time I became a bit obsessed with WW2 and put myself on rations for a couple of weeks (to my mums delight. Not). I don't remember much except I pretty much lived on picallili sandwiches and to even smell the unctious yellow sludge now turns my stomach. I still love bread and butter pudding though!

The dandilion root coffee however, was not so good. Nor were my parents amused when I insisted all tea bags were to be used at least twice and hung up on a mini washing line in the kitchen, with those little pegs you buy at WHSmith. But hey, I could have been on the street corner sniffing glue!

Good luck and I hope we hear all about it.

Bonnie x
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Lilyfae
Tom Good
Tom Good

Wow! Welcome, I love your writing concept (especially as a history teacher)

Marguerite patten did a series of books that were cribbed from original publications- I got it from the imperial war museum & I use bits out of it when we do WWII.
It's called the Wartime Kitchen & well worth a read!

Good luck, hope you find what you need here

MeganW

I've got the 'Victory Cookbook' and 'We'll Eat Again' but haven't seen the Marguerite Patten one you mention. I'll have a look out for it - thanks for the tip. It'll be nice to try some different recipes too! Some of the wartime food is delicious but some is a little less than appetising... I've been taking rationing in stages, so that it is introduced gradually (as it was in wartime), and am about to face up to losing 99% of my cheese, eggs and milk. So any inspiration will be very welcome.

bonniethomas06

Is there any way you can keep chickens? I heard plenty did in the war - once you have lived without eggs for a while?
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

How fascinating. My mum often tells stories of her childhood during the war. Chickens in the back garden, pigs in the area behind the outside loo, dresses made of parachute silk. It all sounds so wonderfully romantic now but I bet it wasn't.

Zoe

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Megan.

Your book sounds fascinating. But do beware - what happened in WW2 was FAR from traditional. Inspirational, admirable, inventive - but not traditional.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

MeganW

The rose-tinted spectacles are definitely off for me now that I'm living by the wartime restrictions. But then I can appreciate that things must have been far, far harder for people living during the actual war. However, there are things that have come out of the experience that are definitely for the better. I'm learning lots of new skills and trying things I would never normally have tried.

I could keep chickens, and in many ways would like to, but I have a bird phobia (have done ever since I was a very small child). On paper, it's a very good idea and would make good sense but I don't think I could face it in reality. Such a shame. My in-laws have chickens though, and are experiencing a glut at the moment so I get lots of free eggs!

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Welcome to ISH :flower:

If you can make yourself an anderson (sp?) shelter it'll make a brilliant garden shed afterwards, as was the tradition! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!