Adopting ex battery hens

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Penny Lane
A selfsufficientish Regular

Adopting ex battery hens

Hey folks, I'm seriously contemplating adopting some ex battery hens but I've got a concern or two.
Does anyone have any experience bringing ex-batts in to an established flock?
Firstly I'm worried about any illness that might be introduced to my current girls. Secondly, I'm worried that my old girls (one in particular) might get bullied or hurt. The one in particular is already 8 years old and pretty dodgery and feeble.
I am just contemplating right now as we've said No More! But you know what it's like :wink:
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Adopting ex battery hens

I can't answer with any prior knowledge as my OH refuses to have chickens!

I'm fairly certain, however, that I've read - here or elsewhaere, can't remember - that you need to do it slowly, have a separate coop for the newbies and gradually move them closer and let them mix a bit. I don't think I've made that up and it seems fairly sensible, giving you time to assess the health of the newbies and both groups of chickens time to grow accustomed to each other.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

First off, I don't think you need to worry about disease from the ex-bats, as they are probably dosed up the their eyeballs with antibiotics as a norm.
Plus you have the bullying round the wrong way. In my experience of keeping chicken it will be the resident birds attacking the newcomers, protecting the status quo.
GA's suggestion is sensible as they will eventually get on together without the fisticuffs.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Penny Lane

Thanks for the advice GA & Odsox. Whenever we've brought in new girls (all from the same place) they've been kept separate until we were confident there wouldn't be too much trouble, which will happen this time too.
I am hoping that our bolshie blackrock will look after the old girl, they've both seen newbies coming and going through their long lives.
I guess I'll be looking out for some ex-batts now then!!!
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

I adopted several last year (Isa Browns), not into an existing flock though. There have been no health problems at all with them and they are very productive (but refuse to brood). I agree with Odsox, they have certainly been dosed with and for everything
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Penny Lane

That's really good to know, thanks Weedo.
We'll work out the issues around bringing the two flocks together as it happens. Thankfully we have two areas separated by a trellis fence so they can be apart but still in view of each other for a while.
The Norm.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

detached contact works for assimilating flocks; they can still test dominance through the fence. I would suggest that, as with all flock / herd animals, there will be a fairly constant dominance battle going on, generally mostly bluff, as each tries to climb the social ladder. Roosters tend to minimise these battles amongst their girls.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight