suitable plants for chickens

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

suitable plants for chickens

I am building a new chicken coop and enclosure, for my chickens ( dug-up patio area) so barren soil.
I want to plant around the perimeter -on the outside.

Thinking more herbs/perennials.

I want to avoid anything that is too attractive to the chooks, who might decimate it, and also anything that could be
poisonous to them ( or would they just steer clear?)

Any suggestions, re suitable plants, or which to avoid? I do already have a grape vine lined up for one corner.

In the middle, I´m thinking about putting a fruit tree, as I have several young ones in containers. (apple/cheery/peach)
I can put fencing round the tree to protect it until more established. Would any of these do, or one better than others.

Inside is obviously barren, so anything quick growing that i could put in?

I have in the past, sprouted lots of various seeds in shallow trays to put in their old area, and will do this again, but am wondering what, if anything I might be able to get going in the inside run.

Any and all suggestions welcome, but I am really after herbs/fruit/veg, as I have very limited growing space, so flowers are out, unless edible, or have therapeutic properties ( for me or the chickens!).

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: suitable plants for chickens

For the inside of the pen you might consider looking at a mix of grasses plus some deep-rooting herbs like alf-alfa, comfrey, vetch and (gulp) dandelion. These are quite rich foods for chickens and can really supplement their diets. Dandelion in particular is rich in carotenes which can give richly coloured yolks.

For plants outside, I reckon rosemary and tarragon are pretty unpalatable to hens and they also seem disinclined to attack lemon balm. I don't think any truly drawfing cherry trees are available, so, depending on the space you have and the amount of light you might loose, you might want to plant an apple instead. The chickens will do a good job in controlling pests for you.

oldjerry

Depends what you call dwarf stock,Jon.I go for cherries on pixy stock,they never make more than 6'.That's Morrello on a North wall,and any old eating variety out in the sun.
Chickens.. well specially comfrey and dandelions,couldn't agree more.As everyone must know ad nauseum,I'm a 'Tractor boy'(nothing to do with Ipswich Town F.C.) so I'd be inclined to include your 'chicken feed in your plot rotation and fold them over it.Lucerne is good too,but the seed's a bit pricey.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks for that

Alfalfa,dandelions,rosemary, tarragon, lemon balm, .....no problem

Comfrey...... wish I could get some! Unheard of in these parts.

Chicken tractor..... absolutely, if only I had the space!
Not only is my garden/back yard small, it´s also on different levels, and therefore impossible.

As for the fruit trees, well loss of light , is not a problem.
they are in pots/ containers at present, and are suitable for that, according to nursery, so I´ll just grab one and plant it out!