Preparing For The New Arrivals To The Family.

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Bristolbelle
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51.416709
longitude: 2.617750

Preparing For The New Arrivals To The Family.

I looked out of the kitchen window at the top of the garden where we have our children's playhouse. We bought it for our son on his 2nd birthday. And it moved with us when we bought our current house. My younger brother set it down on a firm foundation of breeze blocks and built a small step up to it. And that's where it has stayed put for the past 7 years. Now my son is 13 yrs old and a little big to fit into the house. But I couldn't bear to part with it, call it sentimentality, I couldn't chop it up.

Stacked to the rafters with old broken toys, and looking a little worse for wear, I decided to give it a clean out. We threw some ideas into the air of what we could use the house for. Storage for kindling and paper for the winter? NO. Overspill storage from the garage? Defiantly NOT! A hen house?.. "do you think we could?" I paused and waited for a reaction from my husband.

Why not! was the reply. Heaving a sigh of relief as I was secretly hoping he would say yes, We dragged the house forward to check it all over for any repairs that it might need. Apart from the front corner and a little of the floor a bit rotten. It was surprisingly in good state of repair for 11 years old.

The Ivy and hydrangea growing rampantly behind the house was pulled down. Although this did take a lot longer than I first thought. I was happily pulling away at the mini jungle when I spotted it.....

The biggest spider I have ever seen, taking up squatters rights in the Ivy! Husband at work, what was I going to do to move our eight legged friend along? I wasn't going to kill it, It was so big it could have picked up a garden spade and hit me back! Gathering my nerve and chatting away very nervously to it, I moved it away. Honestly if the neighbours would have heard me they would have thought I had cracked!

Repairs completed, adding an old blanket box from Ikea, and a few coats of " Country Cream & Summer Damson" We are now the proud owners of a Chicken Coop.
The lid of the nest box is going to have some felt put on it.
We need to section off the nest box and add the clasps to hold down the lid. Otherwise we are pretty much nearly there with the new Des res for the hens.

All there is to do now is build the fixed run and buy all of the accessories needed before we get the new girl's. Sonwith a bit of good wether we should be starting the run this weekend. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.
My blog...
http://louisesetter.blogspot.com/

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Preparing For The New Arrivals To The Family.

Ah thats fab, hope your girls settle in really quickly, and give you lots of yummy eggs. x
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

spider8

Thanks for not killing the spider BB :hugish: . Would be lovely to see a pic of the des res?
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Bristolbelle
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51.416709
longitude: 2.617750

Hi Spider8 here are some pics of the hen house. We should finish the run over the weekend. I have some more photos on my blog. My great gran always said" if you wish to live and thrive, let a spider run alive".
http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m60 ... en%20Coop/
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.
My blog...
http://louisesetter.blogspot.com/

spider8

Wow, what a posh pad those lucky girls will have. An excellent bit of 're-use' and I hope the weather is good for your run-building session :thumbright:
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

becks77

Glad my girls can't work a puter, I'd have rebellion on my hands!! that is one seriously gorgeous hen house they and you should be very proud x
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"