Introducing adult chickens to chicks

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Oilystairs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Introducing adult chickens to chicks

Hi, got 2 chicks that are 4 weeks old, have been kept with their Mum and are now running around in an new large enclosed pen. We have a cock and another hen who are currently free range that we want to put into the pen too. At what age can we let the adults in with the chicks? The Mum is very protective and has tried to attack the dog when she got too close to the pen so will she see off any agression from the other adult chickens? Ta

daddymatty82
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Introducing adult chickens to chicks

Personally I would introduce the chicks at pol so spring next yr would be earliest imo. I have only hatched out about 50 chicks since last year some under broody some in incubater. It also depends on breed of them all. This year I got my 1st batch of pekins and my 2 silkies I have 3 pens 21 birds which is only 6 adult hens the rest are chicks so when they start crowing or laying in spring Il. Add them all into the adult. Iv lost 3 chicks to my non broody hens .crowing will end up down market pullets will stay as my breeding flock.what breed are your chicks?

chicken feed
Tom Good
Tom Good

if they are a natural hatch rather than incubator mum should protect them from uwanted attention by the others in the flock, incubator hatched we usually introduce to the flock at pol.

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My 4 week old chick with her mum was placed back in the pen with the other hens last week... no problems to be honest - yes a few sqeuals as other hens got too close when mum was around. But they got to learn. As long no blood is drawn then all is well.