my chicken died...

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

my chicken died...

Can anyone help?I had a chicken die about 3 months ago she just went all pale for want of a better word, pale comb and eyes and just stood about until she died,she was eating and drinking.Now I have another with similar symptoms.I did have red mite in the house a few months back but scrubbed and sprayed every few days until they went I also dusted the birds although a bit tricky to get them!They are ex-batts so are now nearly 3 years old but I am worried it is not old age but something awful.....
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: my chicken died...

Could it possibly be that she is beginning to go through the moult? On of ours did a similar thing recently and then she started to loose her feathers and soon after the others followed.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

i was told exbatts can be expected to live for around 2 years,only know this as i`m getting 4 the coming weekend,although a freind got 4 years out of her pet exbatt hen.so at least yours had 3 good years,and thats great news.

p.s. i have a phone number if anyone in ireland wants some?they are coming from cork area.available next weekend.
but they need to know before then.

jampot
Living the good life
Living the good life

sorry to hear you lady died, one of mine did recently :(
did you check for ticks when you did the mite dusting as a tick oveload can "drain" a hen (literally) that may explain the paleness. or possibly heart conditions will slow them down and they will go blue/grey ish abouth the comb and just slip away not sure how long ex batts live for im afraid
AAARRGHH its behind you!!!

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks what does a tick look like??What do you treat ticks on a bird with??
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

jampot
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ticks are small bloodsucking insects that attatch to the hen (or any other animal) as they suck blood they swell up ( these are reallybig uns but may look smaller

http://entomology.unl.edu/images/ticks/ ... _ticks.jpg

to remove them you need to pinch the base of the tick and twist off BUT you need to make sure the head and mouth parts are not left in as this can lead to infection if in doubt take you hen to the vet as they may be able to give you some advice on tick treatments ( never used any myself)
hope i helped
AAARRGHH its behind you!!!