Pigs & neighbours

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Wortle
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Pigs & neighbours

Can anyone tell me if there are laws concerning keeping animals within certain distances of other peoples property?

tThere is nothing in the deeds about this. My predecessor was a pig farmer, and kept pigs in the barn that has been converted into my neighbours property. After the conversion the pigs were up to the boundary wall which I want to use as the back of my pig sty.

Anybody had any trouble? Would I ring the council to ask about byelaws?

Thanks
Wortle

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Pigs & neighbours

ring the council but be vague as to who you are and where you live just in case you have a gestapo type council. You could look on the defra websitehttp://www.defra.gov.uk/ to see if there is any info. I know if you keep any sort of fowl such as chickens ducks etc then you have to notify the council of this because of the bird flu problem.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

red

are you sure about that Al? i dont think you do have to notify anyone about keeping fowl

Wortle - first thing to do is check your deeds for covenents etc
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

red

no restrictions on chickens.. so long as you have less than 50

see http://www.nfumutual.co.uk/lifestyle/ke ... ickens.htm
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

red

pig guide from defra

i would contact Defra and your local animal health people and ask them
Red

etsy shop

blog

Big Al

red wrote:are you sure about that Al? i dont think you do have to notify anyone about keeping fowl

Wortle - first thing to do is check your deeds for covenents etc

I stand corrected it was just that as a part of the allotment tennacy agreement the local council ( landlords) had to be informed of fowl numbers and types for the bird flue reason.

A fellow plot holder told me that he also had to notify the council when he kept them at home so it must be a local issue but for the allotments specifically if you have 1 or 100 you need to let them know up here.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger