1900 house

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

1900 house

I have fond memories of this series, and when I saw sky3 were re-running it in the mornings I jumped at the chance. I hadn't remembered how whiney they all are though!!! oh my god suck it up and get on with it lol!!!

baldowrie

oh yes they went into it with thoughts of how romatic it was instead of the harsh reality

mrsflibble

she cried today 'cos her hubby tried to help by adding more coal to the range, not realising it'd make the flames die down before getting hotter... also, what 1900s london mother would have made macaroni-bl8dy-cheese?!!!
don't knoiw if I'll be watching on monday.

baldowrie

she not complained about the lack of hot baths, shampoo and conditioner and the washing yet then.....it was at this point I stopped watching the series with uttering of stupid, bleep, woman what does she expect?

Milims

I recently re-watched it on something like alluc. Yeah - they were really whiney, they did bu**er up the fire and they did miss shampoo and stuff - but I guess that's the point. They learned sharpish that the Victorian era was far from romantic, that it was, in fact, bl**dy hard work and smelly, but if you have the guts to watch to the end, they also learned a few more things along the way!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

baldowrie

that it was, in fact, bl**dy hard work and smelly, but if you have the guts to watch to the end, they also learned a few more things along the way!
Which is precisely what I said to a friend at the time but was informed...'but she didn't know/realise that' :roll: and the classic 'but they didn't live like that really, it wasn't that hard'. :roll: :roll:

That will be why when my mum got a washing machine, and no more mangle, in the mid sixties she was over the moon then!

mrsflibble

my mum in law was telling me that in about 1978, just before she had my husband, her hubby bought her a tumble dryer. Well, I say bought it... found it in a skip and took it home with a view to repairing it. It aparently had to be bodged back together before each use, got the clothes and kitchen warm and damp rather than actually dry (lwhich is the same thing my washer does, hence why we got a "proper" dryer) and in the end Marie gave up on it and dug her "portable" mangle out of the shed. Thankfully my FIL never throws anything away so the mangle was still there. it's probably back in his shed now, along with the dryer lol!!

baldowrie

thanks for making me feel 'old' this morning :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:

mrsflibble

heh heh heh... should I mention that all this dryer palaver was 5 years before I was born...?!

no, maybe not lol!!!

When she had my younger brother in law (1983, he's 4 months younger than I am) all her friends were urging her to use disposable nappies, but like a trooper she just dug the Terries out of the loft and set to. She is a marvel, when she was regnant with Robert, she even had the tyres replaced on the carriage built pram David and James had been carted around in. Because she couldn't fit it in the bus or the car she walked everywhere, which meant walking at least 4 miles a day to get bread, milk and other provisions.

sorry, bit off topic but my mum in law is fab.