Windfarm Wars (Today, 19:00 on BBC Two then on iPlayer)

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Windfarm Wars (Today, 19:00 on BBC Two then on iPlayer)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zn463

Today, 19:00 on BBC Two (England, Wales only)
The first of a revealing observational documentary series that follows what happened when a global windfarm developer tried to build a windfarm in the heart of some of Devon's loveliest landscape.

In this episode, passionate developer Rachel Ruffle puts forward plans for the Den Brook Windfarm. Its nine 120-metre-high turbines will transform the landscape in a shallow valley that lies four-and-a-half miles from Dartmoor National Park. One of her allies is farmer Martin Tucker, who stands to gain hugely if the development goes ahead. Set against them are the local action group, including Martin Tucker's cousin, which mobilises to fight the proposals, claiming the turbines are visually intrusive and ineffective. And there is Mike Hulme, an increasingly disillusioned local resident who starts off on good terms with Rachel, but whose conscience is torn between the need for action on climate change, and his fears that turbine noise could blight the countryside's peace and tranquillity.

Before the local authority West Devon Borough Council votes on its decision, there are acts of vandalism, angry scenes and tears of frustration and disappointment.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Windfarm Wars (Today, 19:00 on BBC Two then on iPlayer)

Thanks for that - I'll be at a meeting when it's on, to discuss progress on getting our village turbines (wind and hydro)!!!!!

So set to record.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

southeast-isher

Or it'll be on iPlayer...

dave45

not exactly small-scale stuff is it?

http://www.ukerc.ac.uk/support/tiki-dow ... fileId=798

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Well I watched the first episode when I got in.

Have to say that for the first time ever I had some sympathy for the NIMBYs :shock: :shock: Nine wind turbines virtually on their doorstep seems a bit much, even though I love them.

I didn't like that woman much either though (she looked, to me, like an axe murderer! :lol: ) Maybe it's the way the programme is presented, or probably more accurately because it's big business again, everything they did looked like classic greenwash! (If you can use classic to describe a neologism like greenwash :dontknow: ).

Oh well, see what happens next week :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin