'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

Jim, would love to hear more about the land squatters, we need such a movement today. The Norman's established (by conquest/theft) the land tenure that exists to this day, with, what is it, 6% owning 90% of the land and strict planning laws to keep us, ordinary folk, out of these green and pleasant lands.

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes, there are quite a few books about various plotland movements, think I have read the Colin Ward one - what I like so much about plotlands and allotments is the transformation of often quite unpromising spaces into something very valuable to their occupants - and also how they can operate almost as 'alternative' societies which feel different from mainstream societies. Was it Colin Ward who wrote a book about garden sheds as utopian spaces in everyday life?

Ok, who's going to put this programme proposal forward to the BBC? We clearly have a genius idea here....!!

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Graham and Yvette,

The Plotlands really took off in the 20s and 30s when the "Homes fit for Heroes" failed to materialize and people took the matter of housing into their own hands. There was a lot happening in Scotland where it was known as "land raids" but I've found plotland housing in Selsey and East Wittering in Sussex, Brownwich in Hampshire and Gurnard on the Isle of Wight. All these are seaside locations but there were many in countryside settings. East Wittering has some charming homes built from old railway carriages (with enormous price tags, ironic don't you think?).

The idea of people squatting land, housing and feeding themselves and becoming independent in a way that has been impossible since the free commons of England were enclosed didn't meet with Government approval. I have heard that General Montgomery hated the "bungalows", and, under war regulations, sequestered the land and used it for tank practice! Imagine the wreckage.

I've tried googling "Plotlands" but there doesn't seem to be a lot of material about it, just another piece of unofficial history ...... The only way to find out would be to go and do it yourself. Those people I've spoken to are proud of their homes and only too pleased to tell you about their history. And I do agree, a telly series would be fascinating. Come on BBC!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Well, I have to eat humble pie. This programme must have something going for it.

My daughter, scared of every creepy crawly known to humankind, said that after watching The Edible Garden for a couple of weeks she fancies having a go at growing some veg. AND is willing to try to brave the creepy crawlies (all except spiders! :lol: ) :shock: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

I knew I'd seen Alys in a previous incarnation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0eZjJZzNB4

Love and Peace
Jim

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

here's some info about my local plotlands...

http://www.roselake.co.uk/
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Mrs F

Ta for the link, I find the whole subject fascinating!

Love and Peace
Jim

Kitty Ballistic
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I managed to find this programme online as I missed the first couple, and I was reminded of this place after Alys' mention of self-sufficient...ish. :iconbiggrin:

I have enjoyed the programmes so far, but I agree with the previous comments re: small gardens (my entire garden is probably about the size of Alys' patio :iconbiggrin: ), the Jamie 'vibe' of the programme (not always a bad thing) and the comments about GW not really being aimed at those wanting to start gardening on a small budget. I think Alys' programme is more lifestyle than gardening, but it's enjoyable to watch nevertheless.

And Yvette, I also didn't know that peashoots were edible. So that's two of us in the whole wide world. :mrgreen:

southeast-isher

For anyone lucky enough to have the space and interested in going much deeper it looks like Martin Crawford has a new book out (and there is also his DVD available already). You can read about it in The Ecologist.

http://www.theecologist.org/green_green ... crops.html

Millymollymandy

Odsox wrote:
yvette wrote:was I the only one who didn't realise that you could eat pea shoots as a salad vegetable? Major embarrassment if I was :oops:
Yep .... just you in the whole wide world. :lol:

You may like to know you can eat broad bean shoots as well.
If you pinch the tops out when bean pods start forming, not only does it deter blackfly it also provides a free meal. :cheers:
I didn't know either but I've never grown peas before. It would be a bit expensive though to buy pea seeds just to eat the shoots.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

It would be a bit expensive though to buy pea seeds just to eat the shoots.
Ah, but I tried the trick Alys showed: buy ordinary whole peas from the supermarket for a few p and sow them. It works like a charm - all germinated - and I ate my first shoots in a salad yesterday. Tastes good too!

Jandra

Millymollymandy

I don't think they have such a thing here Jandra, I'd never heard of dried peas before.

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

That would be a pity. Are you sure, MMM? Something like pois sec or pois sechés? I see plenty of pea soup recipes (potage pois, soupe au pois) and some of them ask for these, though many only mention pois cassés, which wouldn't germinate, obviously.
I used the German variety of dried peas for pea soup. They were on the same shelf as the split peas and the pre-soaked soup peas. I thought it'd never work, for sure, but was pleasantly surprised at the germination rate. I figured if the few test peas didn't germinate, I could always use the rest in a soup!

Jandra

theabsinthefairy

Hi MMM - we have dried peas in our bio shop and also in the larger Cora in the city.

Made me smile seeing the dried apple rings on the show last week.

Everyone takes the mickey out of me when they see me drying them over the Rayburn like mad all autumn, the French are particularly confused. I use them, not just on cereals for us, but as horsey and bunny rabbit treats during the winter.

I have also left them for too long and they dry out rock hard, and then you can paint them and make Christmas decorations out of them too. :oops:
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Millymollymandy

Oh I'll have a look then in the supermarkets, thanks guys! :thumbright: They do have quite a selection of dried stuff but I'm usually looking for red split lentils which they rarely have. :roll: Then I can just grow some in a tub like Alys did, I just hope I like the taste as I'm not a pea person (probably why I've never heard of dried peas!).