Can you freeze pesto?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Can you freeze pesto?

I need to do something with my basil and I seem to recall someone (Delia? Monty Don?) mentioning freezing pesto. Maybe it was before you add the parmesan. I just can't remember so if anyone knows I would be extremely grateful!

wulf

I don't see why not. In fact, I'm not sure you'd even need to leave out the parmesan. Just freeze it in helping-sized dollops, so you take it out as you need it and don't leave it hanging around too long after defrosting.

Wulf

SUPEwoman
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've just been reading a book from the library on veg growing. The author suggests freezing pesto or just whizzing basil with a little water in a processor and freezing individual portions.
Life is uncertain ........ eat desert first.

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

Freezes well, but leave out the parmesan and add it after defrosting.

Smooth Hound
Living the good life
Living the good life

Last yr at the end of the yr we picked our basil and put it loosely in a plastic bag and froze it like that and it worked. I was quite surprised, but i have heard that if you liquidise basil with some olive oil then you can freeze that in ice cubes and now you can get disposable ice cube things on a roll like a clingfilm roll, i am not quite sure how they work as I havent tried them yet but they do exist, I am going to try that tjhis yr as the whole leaves did take alot of room in the freezer.
Mike