Sweetcorn

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sweetcorn

I'm gobsmacked :shock:

I've been growing sweetcorn for umpteen years and have been reasonably happy with them. I've always grown F1 hybrids for two reasons, one because the seed is quite expensive that I wanted to make sure they performed as expected and most seed catalogues only have F1 seed for sale anyway. All my plants produced 2 cobs per plant, one good one and the second one sometimes a bit "gappy", and I thought that was normal.
Now that seemingly all modern sweetcorn is either "supersweet" or "tendersweet" which are far too sweet for my liking, and my drive to save my own seed where possible, I looked around for open pollinated heirloom varieties.
This year I'm growing my normal F1 Sundance and the heirloom Golden Bantam, in separate tunnels (no cross pollination)

The Sundance is performing as expected, they are about 4 foot tall and have 2 ears forming.
The Golden Bantam is trying it's hardest to punch holes in the polytunnel roof, they are about 8 feet tall and bent over, so could be even taller. But the most striking thing is one in particular has 7 cobs forming, and has 3 side shoots (called tillers I believe) and they have each got 2 cobs forming as well)
Of course it's early days yet, but it's possible that this one will have 13 cobs. All the others are similar, but not quite so many side shoots (mainly because I pulled them off, thinking they would sap the plants) and 1 or 2 less ears on the main stem.

I'll let you know what I eventually harvest from both varieties,
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Sweetcorn

That's good to know. We stopped growing sweetcorn because it took up too much room for too little return. Like you we got one or two cobs per plant.

I'd put it down to our perennial problem, short season, although I've seen some called "Farthest North" - can't remember if they're F1 or not though.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'd be interested in the results Tony. I have often grown tall plants, but I don't think I've ever got any worthwhile ears out side

my friend (who came with me to see your HP set up) has an out door variety that seems productive enough, but I think is more for hard kernel production

I'll ask him what variety it is
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

There you go, I knew this sweetcorn was strange.
This is a photo of sweetcorn kernels on a MALE flower head, how weird is that ?
Sweetcorn.jpg
Sweetcorn.jpg (158.77 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Tony

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have stopped growing sweetcorn in my tunnel, I was getting all sorts of fasciation, glad I am not the only one getting weird stuff happening

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well my sweetcorn has now all been harvested, except for one ear I'm leaving for seed.
I'm still very impressed by the Little Bantam variety, I ended up with 41 ears from 18 plants which equates to just under 4 kilos of stripped kernels in the freezer, plus some dried as an experiment and twice as a vegetable for dinner.

The Sundance variety was a lot less impressive and from 20 plants I picked 18 small ears, 16 of which are frozen on the cob.

No more F1 sweetcorn for me I think, not only are modern varieties far too sweet now, they don't seem to like our variable weather.
Tony

doofaloofa

Odsox wrote:There you go, I knew this sweetcorn was strange.
This is a photo of sweetcorn kernels on a MALE flower head, how weird is that ?
Sweetcorn.jpg

I totally support your right to grow trans-gender sweetcorn, Tony
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln