Herb Garden Guidance

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Herb Garden Guidance

Hi Folks,

I want to start a container herb garden and was wondering if it would be completely foolish to buy herb plants and plant them out in autumn? Should I just wait til spring? I've found a good website with a range of culinery and medicinal herbs and am keen to get started but I don't want to spend money and go to all the effort if they will not survive the winter.

Any advice welcome!

x

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Herb Garden Guidance

I can't see a problem planting out woody herbs - so thyme, sage, rosemary, hyssop, winter savory and oregano (there will be others I can think of at the moment) - as long as they're fairly sheltered or you can protect them with fleece or similar until they're well-established. But the soft stem herbs are largely annuals (over here anyway) so there would be no point until spring.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Agree with Maggie but don't forget good old mint although I would grow that in a separate container else it will take over. Also you should be OK to plant chives and parsley now.

Remembering the cold winter we've had all our mint, chives and parsley survived.

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Use a free draining, low nutrient compost in the pots, it helps reduce waterlogging in the winter months which most herbs dislike. Mix in some grit too, about a 50/50 mix of compost and grit.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Oh - I'm so impatient, I know how you feel.

Many herbs cope well indoors. Have you got a windowsill you can put them on? Plant them up and keep them indoors while they get established. I keep chives, parsley and rosemary on the kitchen windowsill throughout the winter.

Zoe

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cheers guys! Now I've just got to persuade the OH to let me spend money on herbs! :iconbiggrin:

But unfortunately garden priority now has to be cutting back the shrubs and tree which are next to the pavement as someone from the council came round yesterday to complain! Considering how bad some of the gardens near us are I'm a bit miffed! One of out worst shrubs (ie most over the fence) is a beautiful hydrangea which is in flower so I was going to wait until it had stopped flowering but noooo, the powers that be want it done now! :angryfire: Well they'll have to wait til the weekend and it'll only be done then if its dry. (hmm looking for a defiant smiley...)