Most "money-saving" vegetable

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Most "money-saving" vegetable

Tomatoes certainly haven't been saving us any money these last few years. We've hardly had any because of the wet rather miserable summers we've had. A few years ago we did do sub arctic plenty (it was a sunnier year than the last couple), from memory the fruit grew to about 1-2" in size and they were good sized plants with a reasonable amount of fruit. We will keep on planting tomato seed (Gardeners Delight and Urbikany - the later supposed to be a cool climate tom from the Real Seed Company).

As for what might have been the best investments over the years, new potatoes, garlic, blueberries.

SaveSomeGreen
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

gotta be toms, Peppers and soft fruit,

raspberries being unfeasibly expensive, 2 quid for a plastic tub with bubble wrap and a plastic lid and twenty, I turn in the meldrew every time I see them, very literally costing the earth...gits (supermarkets that is) my raspberry plant donor was getting a bowl full (3 packs a day) from them last year

also never seen black cherry toms anywhere except in my little home made tunnel and they taste Amazing!
Frugal is it's own reward

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk
Saving the Environment and your pocket

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

All my veg are precious to me, don't know about saving money they save me - not only that natural organic goodness to eat but think of all the exercise, fresh air and natures de-stressing involved in raising and caring for them. We are predominantly vegetarian and eat plenty of veg, we grow 80 to 90% of our veg for about £150 / year (allotment rent £90), what would it cost if we went to the supermarket, 4 or 5 times this?

bobby280
Tom Good
Tom Good

Does anyone else have names for their herbs and veg?

LyssaM
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

For me the best one is Potatoes! They just grow so well and usually from stray potatoes that have fallen down the back of the veg box and started sporuting themselves so they're wasted and no good anyway... they just grow so amazingly well in my garden without any need for to do anything at all!

The other is courgettes... they saved me loads last year and lettuces saved me a bit but my garden is small and we eat LOTS of lettuce so it doesn't dent it too much.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Salad leaves, courgettes and spring onions are mine I think - Onions, potatoes and carrots are pretty cheap in the shops so I don't think we save that much on them. I have never had a crop of tomatoes, chillis or aubergines but when I do they will save me a lot too.... and if I could get my mushrooms to grow they would save me a loads and supplement our meat intake.

Plenty of things I grow that I just would never buy because of their high price - rasps, blackberries, rhubarb, strawbs, fresh peas, new potatoes, pakchoi, fresh herbs.

But this time of year I eat the equivelent of a bag full of lettuce a day - we used to buy a full head of lettuce but it would wilt after 1 day, plus, I like the mix too.... and I love (very expensive) rocket which I seem to be able to grow with the greatest of ease :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Millymollymandy

bobby280 wrote:Does anyone else have names for their herbs and veg?
No, but I'm intrigued. :iconbiggrin: What do you call yours? My wildlife has names but the veg is just called what it is.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Juding by how much I paid for three sticks of rhubarb from Aldi the other day One pound..its got to be that.....could not believe how expensive it was but my daughter loves it......(had to give back my allotment this year so haven't got any at the minute)

Keaniebean

Second that Rhubarb is stupid money. A month ago it was £3.99 for 400g!!!!!!!!!!!! in Sainsbugs. I was going to make some forced rhubarb jam but turned and ran screaming.
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

bobby280
Tom Good
Tom Good

Corrie is the coriander, barry the basil and George is our courgette plant. I think it's as these have been in the house. The tough guys outside don't get names.

Millymollymandy

George the Courgette. :lol: :cheers: :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Surely it ought to be Georgette ? :lol: :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

chadspad

Has to be corn on the cob for me. Its around 4 euros for 2 when and if its available. If I dont have any that ive grown, I will have to buy some cos I love it so much! They dont sell it frozen here either.
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Butternuts and courgettes! I'm a veggy and eat tonnes of them anyway and they are prolific growers. I only had about 5 plants of each last year and still had them coming out of my ears! Butternuts last for a LONG time as well, I was still eating mine in Feb this year and I gave plenty away.

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Agree totally with pelmetman. Asparagus. In the local SAins.... it's £19 a kilo! Not that they sell it in anything bigger than 200g packs. From early May 'til about now I can make an absolute pig of myself from our own small asparagus bed ...... FREE!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.