HELP - what can I plant now?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: HELP - what can I plant now?

It doesn't need heat Ina - your climate ought to be ideal for it :lol: . It grows best in a temp of about 15C when it doesn't run to seed so quickly. It grows all through the winter and can be picked all year round. It goes to seed quickly which is why I keep saying that you have to keep sowing seed every few weeks. I grow it all year round.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Jules
Tom Good
Tom Good

Save your eggs shells - crush them and sprinkle around the base of the beetroots (or anything snails attack).

They don't like crawling over the sharp edges..

kiwirach
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mrs Moustoir wrote:The kohl rabi is quite a good one to sow as the pests don't seem to like it much. The slugs and snails have a nibble but the cabbage white butterflies and flea beetle don't seem to like it much. It tastes like a mild swede/neep and grows quite quickly. If you plant it now, you could be eating them by September and they look like some alien vegetable!
thanks for the discription of the kohl rabi....i've been thinking about it but wasnt sure what it tasted like. think i will have a go now!!.

as for the slugs....i'm only starting my second yr on the lottie(got the keys in june)....last yr i didnt use anything and lost lots of seedlings i'd been nuturing whilst waiting for the keys. this yr i was going down the nemaslug line til i found out the price. then i saw some organically certified slug pellets, and have been using them instead...cheaper than nemaslug, and they seem to be working wonders....very little slug damage, if at all.
i will however have to look at the nemaant type stuff for next yr....my plot is riddled with red ants.

invisiblepiper

Jules wrote:Save your eggs shells - crush them and sprinkle around the base of the beetroots (or anything snails attack).

Thanks Jules - I had tried that - but the smell of egg was so tempting that my cairn terriers went frantic to get the shells - and dug up all of my seedlings!
can't win :lol:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Peggy Sue

invisiblepiper wrote:
Jules wrote:Save your eggs shells - crush them and sprinkle around the base of the beetroots (or anything snails attack).

Thanks Jules - I had tried that - but the smell of egg was so tempting that my cairn terriers went frantic to get the shells - and dug up all of my seedlings!
can't win :lol:
Hey but at least egg shells are good for dogs :lol:
I'm having trouble persuding my OH NOT to use dog treats in the mouse traps....ouch!
Just Do It!

invisiblepiper

Ow! not a nice thought! Mine are so nosey-they'd be sure to be caught! :dog: :dog:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)