Takes some believing.........

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121520Post MINESAPINT »

You may recall I posted to say when I got new neighbours a few years ago as a gesture I took them a bucket full of gorgeous organic Pentland Dell spuds. A couple of weeks later I was talking to her daughter and asked how were the potatoes? The reply was "mummy threw them out because they were dirty".

The latest is they have been on holiday recently and upon their return were advised by the gardener or handyman that a rat has been spotted on their vegetable garden. The result is that all crops still in the ground, potatoes, leeks, runners, sprouts, cabbage etc have to be destroyed in case the rat has urinated on any of the produce!
MINESAPINT

User avatar
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 4390
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: North East

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121524Post Milims »

So are they also going to take out all the soil, give it a good bath in dettol and put it back again? What planet did you say these people were from? Don't know which shocks me more - their stupidity or the fact that they actually have a veg garden!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton


Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 8068
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 9:16 pm
Location: Kincardineshire, Scotland

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121525Post ina »

:shock: Leaves me speechless!

But then, I suppose they would have chucked all their produce out anyway - it would have been dirty, having been grown in soil... :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

User avatar
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 17637
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 6:09 am
Location: Brittany, France

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121560Post Millymollymandy »

I suppose their children have all sorts of allergies and illnesses too because they've probably never been exposed to any dirt! :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Enormous Sage
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:37 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121566Post Enormous Sage »

I better throw all my veggies away as I use horse manure on my veggie patch.

I've been growing food in horses poo! I might catch something!!! :pale:

User avatar
StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1175
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: Carnyorth, Cornwall

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121583Post StripyPixieSocks »

Good grief, such is the age we live in! :shock:

User avatar
KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121589Post KellyB »

OMG I know people like that exist but thankfully I have never met one :shock:

User avatar
pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Norfolk, where the cafe's still shut for lunch!

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121614Post pumpy »

My step-dads first wife suffered from the illness,whereby she cleaned the house non-stop.(A bit like the Forth rail bridge: finish at one end & start back at the other.) He loved to grow (& still does) his own veg., but because she would not allow them in the house,because they were dirty,he gave them all away......year after year. She served all their meals with tinned veg. How sad.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

User avatar
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 3815
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:21 pm
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121760Post mrsflibble »

Milims wrote:So are they also going to take out all the soil, give it a good bath in dettol and put it back again? What planet did you say these people were from? Don't know which shocks me more - their stupidity or the fact that they actually have a veg garden!

Jamie Oliver did it, Huge Furry Whipping-Tool did it, therefore it's the cool thing to do don't you know.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

oldfella
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:31 pm
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959
Location: Lot et Garonne France

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121791Post oldfella »

And theres me peeing on my compost heap.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1120
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Godmanchester, Cambs, UK

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121882Post Peggy Sue »

Well I find it more shocking that people on our allotments throw out cabbages because a rabbit nibbled a few leaves, or throw out carrots for being too small/strange shapes- that has got to be the power of supermarkets!!!
Just Do It!

User avatar
StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1175
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: Carnyorth, Cornwall

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121916Post StripyPixieSocks »

Peggy Sue wrote:Well I find it more shocking that people on our allotments throw out cabbages because a rabbit nibbled a few leaves, or throw out carrots for being too small/strange shapes- that has got to be the power of supermarkets!!!
You wouldn't believe it would you? everything has to be perfect these days and yet I remember when I was small eating odd shaped vegetables and Strawberries straight from the plant but everything these days has to be uniform and sterilized! Any wonder allergies are on the rise? All this super clean stuff is bad for you!

eccentric_emma
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:09 pm
Location: Central Portugal

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121944Post eccentric_emma »

It is bizarre how odd some people can be. Somebody on here mentioned that they overheard people talking in a shop saying 'why on earth would you grow your own food, how do you know its safe to eat??' which i thought was crazy! Personally after the recent salmonella infected tomatoes in the US, i think its probably safer to grow your own!

I have noticed though how since getting my veggie box full of weird and wonderful shapes and lots of glorious dirt, I have got a lot healthier. Not that I've been scoffing the dirt or anything but I'm not too particular when scrubbing veggies just a quick scrub will do to get most of it off! But I've barely been ill this year which is a first for me.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121952Post Big Al »

Enormous Sage wrote:I better throw all my veggies away as I use horse manure on my veggie patch.

I've been growing food in horses poo! I might catch something!!! :pale:

That's a good idea... well if you listen to my cousins ex wife.... I took a big box of organic produce for them to try and happened to mention that they were groen with horse muck. She didn't use them but there again they lived on greggs pasties and frozen food from herrons....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Takes some believing.........

Post: # 121992Post Ellendra »

pumpy wrote:My step-dads first wife suffered from the illness,whereby she cleaned the house non-stop.(A bit like the Forth rail bridge: finish at one end & start back at the other.) He loved to grow (& still does) his own veg., but because she would not allow them in the house,because they were dirty,he gave them all away......year after year. She served all their meals with tinned veg. How sad.

One of my great-great-grandmothers was like that, everything that passed through the house had to be cleaned and sterilized. It wasn't until after she died that her closest relatives admitted the reason: she was a typhoid carrier! She'd caught it as a child and could have infected anyone at any time for the rest of her life, but she never did. All 11 children, and countless grands and great-grands, not one ever showed symptoms thanks to her paranoia.

Post Reply