thifty food source

Either you have a related website or you want to promote a website, whatever, stick it here. Adult related and other dodgy stuff will be deleted. Otherwise, carry on and tell us about yourselves. Please don't make this your only post, if your company does fit in then we believe you will too.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

thifty food source

Ok, please don't throw stuff at me, it's not eco, organic, home grown etc. but may be helpful to peeps on a limited budget.

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/

Edited to add no, not the crisps and pop, there's flour, chick peas, lentils, loo rolls etc. Ignore the rubbish! Not used them myself, just passing on the link.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

boboff

Re: thifty food source

I have used these guys a couple of times, and both times the delivery was a little hit and miss.

As Terri says, it's all out of date or near out of date, and not all the prices are that great, you have to watch it. I did bag 6 jars of Hoisin sauce for about £1.20 and 8 Jars of Mango Chutney for similar money, which on a tight budget is a great store cupboard thing to have, that you know won't go off.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes,I have used them. You do have to be very selective. Some of the stuff is near or past its best before date but we've had no problems with it and the website allows you to check the dates before purchasing. I signed up for email update - you do get an annoying number of emails but it means you don't miss good offeres when they come in. Good for storecupboard stuff, I've found.

boboff

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/?afid=c6c9bf

If anyone should wish to order, could you use this link please as it means if a few people use it, I get some money off!! :santa:
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

The Riff-Raff Element

You got a blog! It funny. I would leave abusive comments, but I haven't got a Wordpress, Google, OpenID, etc.

The Riff-Raff Element

In France we have a chain of "shops" called Noz which are a bit like this.

They're generally situated in unheated, previously disused, warehouses in quarters of towns where people would steal your hubcaps if cars still had hubcaps. They sell a most extraordinary selection of bankrupt stock, stuff that is on short date, new lines from big manufacturers that just didn't take off (mayonnaise with chocolate chips, etc) and surplus from suppliers who pre-empted a big order from the supermarkets that didn't materialise.

At the moment, T***o branded wrapping paper at 90 cents for 5m is on offer: some manufacturer somewhere printed it up for them and the chain decided it didn't need it after all, so Noz took it off their hands. They source from all over Europe so we get a far better selection of Italian sauces, Spanish wine and German groceries than anywhere else locally. I love it - you never know what is going to be on the, well, I'd say shelves, but they're more like pallets stacked on empty plastic buckets from the food industry.

It's almost a form of recycling - a lot of the stuff would be going into a skip if Noz didn't exist.

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Jon - you are spot-on with your description of Noz. In fact, I came out of the Lorient Noz one day only to find some oik trying to prise off the middle of one of my car's alloy wheels!! He hurriedly hid the screwdriver he was using in his sock and pretended to tie his shoelace. :shock:

Despite that, I'm a Noz fan too but you do have to wade through an awful lot of tat to find anything decent.

The Riff-Raff Element

It's the two sides of France, isn't it? On one hand we have the bon chic, bon genre housewife doing her daily shopping in some agreeable market town, visiting the baker, butcher & green grocer, choosing the best of everything. On the other - and frequently in the same town - we have the pallid, malnourished, fag-sucking inhabitants of the banlieus. But only one side gets in the guide books.

Still, all sorts end up in Noz. It's better than telly.

boboff

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:You got a blog! It funny. I would leave abusive comments, but I haven't got a Wordpress, Google, OpenID, etc.
Why thank you! I think you might be the first non Bot to read it!