Goods 4 Girls

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
hamster
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Goods 4 Girls

I hope nobody minds, but I'd like to draw people's attention to this amazing initiatve: http://www.goods4girls.org.

In the USA, there were some adverts recently by companies who make disposable tampons and sanitary towels to donate freebies to girls in Africa who would otherwise miss school because of their period... Which is a fine and noble gesture (probably :? ) but in many of these areas there are no landfills or programmes for dealing with solid waste, and most rubbish is burnt. The synthetic components of the pads and tampons, plus the plastic packaging, will emit pollutants when burnt, nor will the products (except possibly cotton tampons) or packaging biodegrade. I've visited several countries in Africa and you can have it on good authority from me that the last thing most places in Africa need is more half-burnt plastic lying around!

Goods 4 Girls are sending out washable, reusable pads, which (as they generally have a waterproof barrier) would allow girls to carry on attending school and doing regular activities more than with rags or newspaper, which is what many use at the moment. The aid organisations that Goods 4 Girls are involved with will ensure that the communities where pads are given out have adequate water for washing the pads.

Also, as these pads last for ages, unlike disposables, it doesn't create ongoing dependence on companies and aid organisations to continue meeting girls' monthly needs, and also doesn't create a situation where the girls get accustomed to using disposables and then have to buy them once they have outgrown the school programmes.

You can find out more about the project from their website http://www.goods4girls.org, and also find out how you can help - you could give money directly if you like (through Paypal is probably easiest unless you're in the US), but you can also buy one or more pads (many of the sellers will donate an extra one for every four or so bought to donate; also, some of them are on etsy, where you can use Paypal) or make your own and send them. (As the charity is based in America, atm they want you to send them there rather than directly to the organisations in Africa as this makes shipping, imports etc much easier.)

Apparently demand is far outstripping supply at the moment, so if you would like to donate anything at all, I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your attention.
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

kiery
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hey Hamster,

Its good to see something like this happening.

I have never been to Africa but tuned into Radio 4 Woman's Hour one day and heard about what women and girls have to go through when they have a period and don't have any money or resources to cope with menstruation. They can be treated appalingly! Thanks for letting me know about this worthy cause.

LSP
Tom Good
Tom Good

I am in two minds about this. We often think a First World fix would solve a Third World problem. Sending tampons or even disposable pads is not a solution, clearly, as we are told on the site mentioned.

But instead of sending reusable pads requiring lots of water to clean, at risk of causing infection, perhaps we have to understand first of all what the indigenous method of sanitary protection is and work with them.

Maybe sending a sewing machine (the ones not requiring electricity) and lots of clean rags from clothes that cannot be repaired to make their version of 'dispoables' -- used and burnt -- might be a better option? I cannot profess to have the ultimate answer.

I am just thinking that when we look at the stories about menstruation through the ages (check out http://www.mum.org/), various societies have always found a way around it.

Besides in a lot of 'pre-modern' societies, it is no shame at all to be menstruating. Women have been known to describe the milestones in their lives as : I was born at such-and-such a time, I started mentruating at age x, and had my first baby at age y, etc.

So I wonder if it all started as a marketing ploy by some business corporations. And the kindly reaction by the people who propose cloth alternatives is not be belittled either, but please do not assume that our way is the only/best way.
the hanky lady at Organic-Ally and OrganicAlly.Blogspot

Mydreamlife
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have to agree with you LSP. I don't know if anone else knows about Nestle 's antics but they are much the same. THey provide mummys with formula milk in Third world countries telling them it is better for baby and the baby will grow stronger etc. Soon mummy's milk is dried up and mummy has to find money for more milk... ( although there is help with this - suprise surprise!) but more alarmingly there are not the sterilisation facilities needed to keep baby healthy an so soon baby gets dyharea(SP!) and is VERY poorly. Why cant big companies just leave nature alone? For more info see
http://www.babymilkaction.org/

Sorry for rant, just feel a LITTLE passionte about it!!! We completely boycot them as do a lot of my friends after going the the site.
:flower:

Just wanted to add that this is NOT a jab at anyone posting here!! I think the girls absolutly need help, I have no great ideas (ALTHOUGH WISH I DID) on how to 'solv this on. I think thoughtful help cannot be bad I just don't like big companies getting involved and throughing their weight around!!! :(
Behind every sucessful man is an fantastic woman!
Not sure who first said it or exact words but so very true!!