Self Sufficient 2021

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Self Sufficient 2021

Definitely not too hot - there must be some insects, as the courgettes are doing ok, right next to them... It's not been very cold, wet or windy, either. It's a mystery. (Actually, I think I saw one bean pod yesterday!!! Hooray!)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

We had a bumper crop of peaches. We gave away a whole bunch to our neighbours, froze some for making jam later, and we are still eating them cut up in our porridge in the morning.

Also a respectable crop of strawberries. They are into a second crop now, so we get enough every few days to add to the peaches in our porridge.

Our black currants were disappointing this year. They are getting crowded out by encroaching forest. So I have been preparing a new bed along a south-facing fence. It will get good shelter from winds, and excellent sunlight. Today, I cut canes from the existing plants and planted them in the bed. I had a bunch left over after I had planted the first ones methodically, so I just stuck the remainder in the ground too. I'd rather thin the survivors next year than have gaps to fill in. I am not expecting them to set fruit next year, but hopefully they will do well the following year.

ina

That sounds like you have a fairly big garden? In my little place, it's always just one of each... Have to cut back my currants this year, too, to give them a chance to rejuvenate. It's mostly for the birds, anyway.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)