Self sufficientish in 2019

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Self sufficientish in 2019

Odsox wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:57 pm
This year though, Lidl for some inane reason decided that their toilet roll tubes needed glazing on the inside, which made them waterproof and unable to quickly rot.
I haven't noticed that yet - maybe I buy a different sort? I always go for Lidl's cheapest... Or they sell a different kind in Ireland. I've not used them for seedlings this year, but chuck them on the compost anyway.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Just about given up on 2019 in the patch - simply too hot and dry.
Most of the veg and herbs are bolting - probably due to high temps and lack of any real winter. Potatoes are doing well and I have hopes for the toms and capsicums. Anything leafy (apart from Rhubarb) just wilts regardless of how much water they get. On the bright side, the roses are superb this year.

Forecast is for 35 - 40 degrees for the next couple of weeks. Just 252mm (10 inches rainfall) so far this year; around half of average. Evaotraspiration for November was 90mm (3.6 inches) which was almost double the months rainfall
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Weedo

Preserving jars - Fowlers Vs Kilner Vs anything else. Any opinions?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I had to google Fowlers jars. Specific to Australia, it appears. They look quite interesting but I'd be worried about the metal lids - are they coated on the inside? Also being screw top might be problematic for using for fermenting veg, sauerkraut and the like. Unless, of course, you're very diligent at burping them daily often for several weeks. I ferment veg directly in the jars, in fairly small quantities and the jars I use more or less burp themselves after the first really vigorous fermenting stage which is only a few days really.

The older Kilner jars with metal discs were similar. Not great for preserving anything acidic. Or fermenting in-situ.

In the US they have Mason jars or Ball jars which again pose the similar problems for fermenting and acidity, as above.

There are also all glass Weck jars which are lovely but the rubber washers are very flimsy and require replacing regularly and the metal clips which hold the lid on are very easy to lose - don't ask me how I know!

I use the newer, glass topped Kilner jars, as you can see in my avatar. I say newer but some of mine are forty-odd years old. I have all sizes and shapes and use them for just about everything from storing spices, in the small ones, through making mayonnaise etc and storing coffee beans and dried pulses in the middle size ones to, as I said earlier, fermenting veg in the 2 litre and above sizes. And my milk kefir has been housed in a 1.5l jar on my worktop for the last ten years or so.

The best bit for me is that the rings are sturdy and last for ages and are fairly cheap to replace, as are the wires. If we break any (which is thankfully rare - they're pretty sturdy) we just keep all the unbroken bits to replace worn out/broken bits on other jars. I have fifty or more of these things, some in long-term storage use others used daily or weekly.

Le Parfait do similar jars and are also very good although I haven't seen that brand for years. There are cheaper versions of these types of jars but be careful. From experience I've found the wire clasps flimsy, so they don't create a good seal, and the rubber rings similarly unsatifactory. I'm sure they're not all like that but sometimes it's easier to go with what you know, than keep being disappointed.

(I'm expecting a surprise parcel of jars, from Kilner, when they see this endorsement. :lol:)
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo

Maggie
The Fowlers Vacola jars, and process, is the "Australian" way for preserving for over 100 yrs and are still the most commonly used - they must work. The lids are not screwed on. They are sealed with a rubber ring, pressed on by hand when contents are hot and held on with a metal clip - as the contents cool a vacuum seal is formed, hence the name Vacola jars. I presume the lids are treated to prevent rust; the rubber bands seem to be considered single use. One the of problems I see is that once opened the lids can't be effectively replaced so the jar is unsealed.

Anyway, the reason for the question is simply that I don't have any of any kind so would look a purchasing a few for a start - I like the Kilner type jar idea as, as you point out, they have multiple uses. I have bought a couple of the cheapies and agree that they are a poor investment