Banish Plastic

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Banish Plastic

The main argument for the use of so much plastic in wrapping fruit and veg is, of course, that it will keep longer and incur less damage during transport. And that has to be taken into consideration. As long as we don't have the local production and distribution that we'd all like, how much more produce would go to waste if it wasn't so well wrapped? And even with local production, as in veg boxes etc, it does have to be protected during transport. I worked for a veg box farm for several years, and I know that paper bags simply don't work for everything. Don't keep salads fresh, go soggy etc. Ideally we would all produce our own in our own gardens, right outside the door...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Rejoice all, I have found (rediscovered?) a substitute for cling film.

Glazing for Tongues
To make a good glazing for tongues, boil a shin of beef with a couple of calves feet or a knuckle of veal in about 6 quarts of water. Season to taste and boil until reduced to 1 quart. Place the glazing into a jar, tie securely over the top of jar a piece of bladder, and it will keep for a long time. When require for use, paint glazing on with a brush.

from The Butchers Guide and Farmers Companion by William Dunstan, Melbourne 1898

The again, perhaps not - it is interesting to note though how little wastage there was in butchering those days. This little book describes everthing from smoke curing to making brines through to making the pastry for meat pies
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I see two problems
1) where on earth do you get a bladder from these days
2) not great for our vegan contingent

Otherwise I'm up for it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

I think even the calves feet and knuckle of veal would be difficult to get these days...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)