What doesn't go in the composter?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
mithril
Tom Good
Tom Good

What doesn't go in the composter?

Hi all. Husband thinks it's ok to put weeds into the composter (fine so far...) but he is all for putting in their roots aswell which I'm worried will encourage them to grow! He's put some ashy stuff in to help everything to break down and he reckons that'll be enough to break it all down but I'm worried we'll end up with triffids growing out the top of the composter!! Can anyone give me any idea's of things to avoid putting in?
Thanks,
mithril.

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

i put weeds in mine roots and all but i leave them on a black plastic sheet to dry out for a few days before i put them in.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

depends how hot your compost gets mithril. I would be careful about putting weed seedheads in. weeds spread by runner like couch grass should get the Paradox treatment before incorporation in a compost heap!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

chrishopper33
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

any thingelse

i have just started a compost, i am a bit addicted to putting stuf in, what else should i put in or not put in???

is cold ash from a wod bq ok???

:flower:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes.
It can also be put directly on the ground (we do). Its good for tomatoes and potatoes especially.

yugogypsy

What not to put in compost

No meat of course-or grease, except fish, or if you're a fishing person-all the guts, tail and head can go in-but cover with manure or dirt so your neighbours animals or vermin don't get into it.

Keeping your ration of green to other stuff, and wetting if dry sould keep your compost going nicely-and on the subject of how hot it gets-I once wrapped an egg in foil and left it for 36 hours and ended up with a soft boiled egg! :mrgreen:

Lois

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I drown my perrenial weeds first.

I have a plastic water butt type drum with no lid and I throw in all my couch grass roots. The drum has filled with evil smelling water over the year and I now have lots of nasty (but nutrient filled) black slime that I add to the compost heap whenever a wet layer is needed.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What not to put in compost

yugogypsy wrote:No meat of course-or grease, except fish, or if you're a fishing person-all the guts, tail and head can go in-but cover with manure or dirt so your neighbours animals or vermin don't get into it.

Lois
When I first read this, lois, i thought there was a comma in it - "so your neighbours, animals or vermin don't get into it" - Kind of changes the inference doesn't it :mrgreen: .

I can't decide whether it is new glasses or a new brain I need! :lol:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

yugogypsy

What can't be composted

NEV

Get some new glasses dear, or clean the ones you're wearing! :mrgreen:

Lois

Jack
A selfsufficientish Regular

Gidday

According to Ruud, http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/bu ... o/bio.html you can put any part of anything that has ever lived into compost.

However I recommend not to put fat in as it really takes a very long time to break down, and to keep meat products in general down as it can encourage Nev's neighbours or their pets.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

Don't forget to "activate" it using "liquid gold" if caught short down the allotment!
For non-food crops, you can even compost cat and dog poo (or even human manure) as well.

mattachinelee

Mentioned the 'liquid gold' concept to OH over the Easter weekend - while my parents were visiting - they're big on gardens & I was hopeful of knowledgable support. Parents just fell about laughing at the expression on OH's face. :shock: Still, maybe it'll all compost by next year, activator or not and in the meantime will provide home for bugs.

OH did raise interesting question re: chilli seeds though - will putting things like this make it 'hot' compost anyway? :?

Christopher

Ok - how about maggots?

Well I've just put out my last lot of kitchen waste (which included three fish heads that had been used for fish stock) into my compost (I use a Bokashi system). Now when I turn the compost there are HEAPS of maggots! I didn't see them in previous compost lots... are the maggots alright? Do I need to worry?

Ka kite,
Christopher. :flower:

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Re: What can't be composted

yugogypsy wrote:Get some new glasses dear, or clean the ones you're wearing! :mrgreen:
Right - here's the stone, now where's that glasshouse. Apostrophe missing.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Rohen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I use liquid gold too and the trick is to sprinkle some white sugar to keep the carbon balance up
Rohen the Dobermann owner