Nettle Manure

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
chadspad
A selfsufficientish Regular

Nettle Manure

Gonna make some nettle manure - its said to promote healthy plant growth, is rich in potash (good for potatoes, tomatoes), and minerals; good source of nitrogen. Is there anything that anyone knows of that wouldnt do well with having this put on them? Would flowers be OK?
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think anything will benefit from it apart from perhaps wildflowers as they seem to do better in slightly harsh conditions.

chadspad

OK, thanks Dave
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

How do you make nettle manure?

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

I presume Chadspad means a liquid nettle feed? It's dead easy, fill a bucket full of nettles - cover them with water and leave them to rot down for a week or two. Then dilute it down about 5-1 (some will advise you go up to 10-1) and water your crops with the diluted mixture.
Nettles are also a good activator for compost heaps, just add a load every now and then and it will aid the decomposition process.

Shirley

Nice and smelly :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the tip

would it be ok if i just chucked a large bunch of nettles in my water collection butt?

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've heard of a lot of people doing just that. You might want to put them in a sack or something porous first like a giant T-bag- it saves it rotting to the bottom of the barrel

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks dave i found an old sack in a skip the other day so i shall fill that full of nettles and suspend it in my water :mrgreen: