Green manure? Cover crop? ??

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Jack
A selfsufficientish Regular

Green manure? Cover crop? ??

Gidday

I am not sure of what ewe jokers call it but I will soon be harvesting my onion. Yes very late but we have had a real crappy season so far.

What I am wanting to know is:-

Can I grow a cover crop to hoe in between crops of onion. Like from late summer to about mid winter. I am wondering if there is something that can not only keep the soil covered as well as being used to add organic matter to the soil and also if such thing exists, to clean up the ground so I can follow with another crop of onions.

Or am I asking too much.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why not a quick growing legume, Jack?
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Jack

Gidday

Well Nev, I just want to see what else those up top come up with as well.
The plot is on a slope so I need to keep a cover on it but am sure there are other ideas out there too.
Cheers

supersprout
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi Jack,

No reason not to give e.g. red clover a go - I'd personally find it fiddly around rows of other growing things, and would prefer to grow them alternately i.e. grow green manure, scythe down, plant onions, then mulch with the scythed stuff. Have you tried this approach? Mulch will condition the soil, keep it moist - we didn't need to water in last year's hot summer - and suppress weeds :cheers:

Autumn and summer onion seed are sown six to a module about six weeks before planting out, which results in 3-4 viable seeds per module, then plant the whole module in dibber holes 8" apart or - easier for mulching - 6" apart in rows 9" apart. If you have some sets in reserve, you can plant those in any gaps that form in the rows :wink:

Hunions, leeks and garlic are mulched with straw as they grow (2" at the start <8" which will settle down into a weedproof layer around the plants) so you only need to twink out odd weed that breaks through. A thin layer of mulch also covers the growing tops and prevents birds picking them out in the early days. Any light organic soil conditioner will do - can you get some spent hops from a small brewer? I use straw because it's easy and cheap to get hold of and move around the plot. Others use a thin layer of grass mowings as the first mulch layer - they say cos it's dark it warms up the onion beds better than a light mulch.

Image :mrgreen:

If you want to feed the soil as well as condition, you can sprinkle over e.g. organic FB&B or chicken pellets as soon as it starts to get warm in Spring.

Ooh, just remembered a great link to info on growing tomatoes alternately with Hairy Vetch here: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/ ... #msg235392
sorry the dates are N. Hemisphere, but I guess you're used to that :oops: :mrgreen:

Jack

Gidday

Hey thanks. I am learnin a lot here. I am also waiting to see what some Yanks come up with too. I still have a week or two before I harvest my onions and want to replant at the end of June.

Must get me a scythe too.
Cheers