Frost protection

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Frost protection

I cleared out a closed garden centre a few years ago on the understanding that I could keep whatever I wanted. I did keep loads of stuff and one of them was a quantity of frost protection fleece. I've never used it for that purpose and was never really convinced that it's any good, but I've certainly changed my mind now.
As my brand new greenhouse is empty I put a row of early potatoes in one bed back in November and when they forecast frost here last week I covered the plants in a layer of this fleece.
I didn't hold out much hope as the temperature when down to minus 5.5 C on Tuesday night and I check the max/min thermometer and it went down to about -3C in there, so I was pretty sure they would be frosted.

This morning I took the fleece off and was surprised to find them totally unscathed. So I take it all back, that thin gauzey stuff really does work.
Potatoes.jpg
Potatoes.jpg (205.34 KiB) Viewed 11494 times
Just to show we really had snow like everyone else, this was my lawn on Thursday morning.....
Snow.jpg
Snow.jpg (114.94 KiB) Viewed 11494 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Frost protection

Well we've still not had any. It keeps trying but nothing's stuck.

Most of the trees in the polytunnel haven't fared too badly but I forgot to cover the lemon and lime trees with their fleece bag so have they've lost their leaves. We've brought them in and changed the compost so time will tell if they'll recover.

On the upside, the aspidistras which I was certain were dead have new leaves! So I may still be able to honour my promises.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a massive hoodie made from fleece that fits over my tomato plants when I plant them out, it fits over 5 foot high hoops and is double thickness, we made it a few years ago by stapling the fleece together

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Good stuff fleece but not if there's strong wind.