Ginger: Looking for advice

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ginger: Looking for advice

I'm not sure if my Minnesota climate is suitable for growing Ginger?

There was a vendor at the local farmers market that was selling it, She said they grow it in a Hoop house (portable green house), but she wouldn't share and details on the "HOW".

Anyone grow Ginger in a short season climate ?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ginger: Looking for advice

It all depends whether you want to grow ginger for selling or just for yourself.
I grow ginger in a pot starting with just a short piece of root with a bud and just let it get on with it.
During summer it's in the greenhouse and during winter it's in the unheated conservatory. It survives temperatures down to 6 or 7 degrees C but doesn't really like it.
It takes about a year to produce a large root which I harvest, cut off a suitably budded section and start all over again.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We're very short season, Jon. We've not had much success with Ginger, mainly because we've never had any with growth buds (and they won't grow if you just try planting a bit of root) but we've got some splendid turmeric plants growing. I think the two are related(?)
They started sprouting in a paper bag on the counter and we planted them together in a big pot (about 1" deep). They stayed out in the polytunnel until the nights started getting cooler and the pot's now on out SW facing windowsill.
We haven't worked out when to harvest them yet but the plants are rather attractive so it doesn't matter.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

well, I haven't read of much other success in my area without a green house, I have had a hard time with plants indoors without a grow light...my windows are in poor locations to take advantage of the natural light...I gotta re-arrange my house layout I guess.

anyway, I gave the extra roots to my veggie farmer neighbor, He's gonna give it a whack.
But any other info you all might have, I'll forward the info to him.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just searched and found my original post on ginger .. http://selfsufficientish.com/forum/view ... r&start=45
Two of the photos didn't survive the forum problems we had a while back, but a couple of them did.

Regarding growing, I don't think they have any special needs, I just left mine to get on with it. It was watered when needed and I didn't fertilise it, just treated it like any other pot plant.

EDIT:
Just found the originals of the missing photos on my computer ......
Ginger1.jpg
Ginger1.jpg (185.07 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
Ginger2.jpg
Ginger2.jpg (168.19 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.