Ivy Killer wanted

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
WhiteWolf
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ivy Killer wanted

Hi Everybody

I just wondered if anybody has a "fool Proof" Ivy killer?

We have tried Glyphosate and SBK both with and without washing up liquid to help it stick, but with no effect.

It run along both sides of the back fence and has started to invade the greenhouse and we want it gone.

The sprays are dealing with the Russian vine that is entwined with the Ivy, but not the Ivy itself and it's doing my nut in. :banghead:

Regards

WW :cooldude:
Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

http://the-wolfies-veg-garden.blogspot.com

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ivy Killer wanted

I hate to say this to you, WW. Glyphosate only deals with very local ivy in my experience - 3 feet away, it's still thriving. We've had an ivy problem for ten years and we're only just getting on top of it now. Glyphosate is useful, certainly - but nowhere near as useful as getting a fork in underneath the runners and hoiking them out (hoiking: a sort of strange Midlands and North-Eastern expression: stronger than 'removing' but not as strong as certain other expressions which cannot here be repeated). Spring is the best time to do this - just as the plants are beginning to expend their energy on growth. You need a fork, gloves (definitely gloves) and a strong back - and glyphosate. In ten years time, you'll have a relatively ivy-free garden. And a broken back.

The joys of soil wardenship!

Mike

Edit: If it's along the edge of your boundary, it may well be living happily in your neighbour's garden.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Have a look at this WW.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_sulfamate

You could cut a lot of it down and use this to compost it. If, in the process, some were to spill on the growing plant - who knows what might happen. :dontknow: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

WhiteWolf
Tom Good
Tom Good

Cheers Peeps

Mike, It's growing up, over and through a 7foot fence. I am seriously think of accidentally setting fire to the whole fence and blaming it on spontanious combustion :lol: :lol:

GA, I'll go have a read and see where I could get some from.

Regards

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't seem Ammonium Sulphamate (even Thickypedia gets it wrong sometimes) for ages.Unfortunately when the HDRA became 'Garden Titanic' it went a bit pc,up 'till then it had been a strong supporter of the stuff,as a direct substitute for glyphosate.If you can source some please inform us.
My partner's Dad has a strange mania,i.e. he hates ivy,and if he sees it suckered on a wall,or similar,he spends hours pulling it off.I guess it's like a child peeling off wallpaper.Anyhow,I can rent him out at very competitive rates...

WhiteWolf
Tom Good
Tom Good

I am at the minute using my Google-fu to try find a supplier of napalm :angryfire: :angryfire:

I think it may come down to brute force and ignorance and take the loppers, axe and machete to it :mrgreen:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Ammonium sulphamate is for sale as a compost accelerator. As far as weedkillers (erm compost accelerators) go it's the only one I'd use, and then only in areas not going to be used for food production. You can't plant in the area for 3 months after using it.

I agree, Ted, that manual extraction is by far the best method. But sometimes you just need a bit of help. And Ivy would be just one such case, for me.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin