chipper advice please

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

chipper advice please

I'm thinking of getting a chipper but have no idea where to start - my local tool hire doesn't do them anymore so I am thinking of getting a domestic one. I have a willow fedge so have lots of cuttings every year and I could really use the mulch!! All advice and ideas re what one to consider getting much appreciated (or alternatively advice re what ones to avoid is equally appreciated) cheers :thumbright:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: chipper advice please

I have had 3 now. The first two were the type that had a circular rotating plate with a blade set in it. Both worked OK, but tended to seize up with dried sap when I used them for green wood, but were fine for dead wood.
The one I have now is the cheapo one from Lidl, it has interlocking gear type blades that the twigs run through and get chopped up and pulled through by the gear's teeth. It makes great mulch from smaller diameter branches and leaves, up to about 3/4" I would say.
If you want to do bigger branches then you need the first type, and the problem with the Lidl one is you have to wait for them to decide to sell them again, but they are very quiet to run.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I also have a Lidl chipper and it suits my modest chipping needs (only up to 40mm)

3 year warrenty

Not sure how long the plastic collection bin will last

For the price (€120) I don't think you can go wrong
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

E-P
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Make sure you know the size of chips it can produce. My father bought a chipper which is practically useless because the final product is too coarse for our purposes.