Splitting seed potatoes ?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
skeast
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Splitting seed potatoes ?

So I have just brought some seed potatoes, they are already sprouting and I plan to put them into sacks and keep them under my carport/porch until it warms up a little, then have them anywhere I can find room !

Soooo, they each have several eyes on, am I right in thinking I can chop them up a bit, maybe so there are only 2-3 eyes on each part and then plant them ? do they need to dry out or anything ?

Any advice ?

Thanks

Sarah

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Splitting seed potatoes ?

Hi Sarah,

If I split potatoes, I do it at the time of planting, making sure you get an eye on each piece, the only drawback is that it can appeal to slugs or eelworms, so I dip the cut ends into diamatacious earth or woodash.

I said this in another thread that, as it is getting late in the season, I would put my spuds into some compost so as they start some roots, I have done this a lot over the years and they grow really well, I think it is a better way to do it than just ordinary chitting,

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wouldn't put them into sacks in the dark if I were you. They will develop long white spindly shoots that will try to grow through the sacking making it very difficult to get them out again.
If you're not going to plant them they need to be put in a reasonably light place so they develop short, fat, green shoots.

I agree with DND, they should be cut when you plant them. If you do it now they will probably lose moisture and shrivel.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Considering the relative cheapness of seed spuds is there any great benefit to cutting them?

Are they more like to become diseased if cut?
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

A trick in the Spanish Civil War to make the crop go further!