if we all stayed dotted about

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: if we all stayed dotted about

Red, Dunc, time to take the thinly sliced & Deep fried potatoes from ones arm to torso connective tissue I think.

Why should any of us have to justify what we have or haven't got? Personal circumstances are so arbitary, effort or choices that we each make impact on our standard of living yes, but to have is not to be in any way superior or better, or worse.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

gregorach

Oh, only "a few tens of thousands"? Oh well, I'll have two then... Sheesh! (Where's a "roll eyes" smiley when you need one?)

How are people who can't even make ends meet as it is supposed to "save for a few decades"? And what about those of us who weren't born early enough to have "a few decades" to spare?

However, it's nice of you to admit that you're only able to do what you're doing now as a result of living in exactly the way you've been criticising in this thread, for over 30 years. By the time I've been at it for that length of time, chances are folks like you will already have bought all the bloody land and priced the likes of me out of it for good. I've very sorry, but I didn't get to start saving 30 years ago, because I was still in primary school, so I guess I'm just going to have to manage the best I can from where I am. I don't have the luxury of 30 years to prepare - we're up against it now.

Unless anybody's got a time machine handy?
Cheers

Dunc

gregorach

boboff wrote:Red, Dunc, time to take the thinly sliced & Deep fried potatoes from ones arm to torso connective tissue I think.
Yeah, fair enough... Red's got a remarkable knack for winding me up. I'm trying not to let him, but without much success...
Cheers

Dunc

boboff

I would give allot to be able to play that instrument behind you in that picture dunc.
I hope you can play it, and it's not just for show, or my point would be lost.
As I say we all make choices, some of us came to this hippy shit a bit later in life, which means we can be self sufficientish of the back of years of robbing and thieving and general hypocricy, which I don't see as a bad thing, the other option involved more mind altering drugs than I've ever cared for!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

I’d love it if they brought in a law that meant that anyone owning more than 30 acres of land had to pay council tax on it.

At least then there would be more plots available and those landowners that sit on great vast acreages would be forced to share some of it. It was also make the land more productive and probably be better for wildlife.

I own 9 acres and my neighbours own 4000 acres each. How anyone can own 4000 acres is beyond me.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

There you go Dunc :roll: , third row down, third from the end :roll:
How you didn't spot that ... :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

gregorach

Silly me! :icon_smile:
Cheers

Dunc

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

gregorach wrote:
However, it's nice of you to admit that you're only able to do what you're doing now as a result of living in exactly the way you've been criticising in this thread, for over 30 years. By the time I've been at it for that length of time, chances are folks like you will already have bought all the bloody land and priced the likes of me out of it for good. I've very sorry, but I didn't get to start saving 30 years ago, because I was still in primary school, so I guess I'm just going to have to manage the best I can from where I am. I don't have the luxury of 30 years to prepare - we're up against it now.

Unless anybody's got a time machine handy?
No Duncan, I've chosen not to live in cities - so I don't see how thats at odds with disliking them. I have rented places outside, and chosen to work for large companies that are accesible from the country - a surprising number of very large firms are based on industrial sites outside of city centres. No double standards in my position.

We all manage the best we can - thankfully I don't hold myself personally accountable for property prices - thats another result of overpopulation - perhaps we agree that thats the main problem?

Anyway - I think I've made my position clear, as have you. You think human beings are "social animals" and that equates to living close together. I believe human beings are better suited to "free range" country living and not packed together in "concrete jungles". The joy of course as a free society is we can both choose to live we like to.

I hope you get to buy the home you want. If your current job and location don't afford the opportunity, why not make a life change? I have - several times. Its very liberating - if current employment or location don't afford you what you want - change job, change location, do something new. You don't have to do "the best you can from where you are" - you can move, do something different, live different lives. I don't mean that cynically - I'm serious - its a big wide world and still packed with opportunity and challenge. If you want land - go get some - its still cheap in some countries and areas. I hope you find what makes you happy.

Red
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

gregorach

I love Edinburgh, and I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else.

This has been an absurd argument. I'm not even sure what we're supposed to be arguing about any more.
Cheers

Dunc

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi Red
I think you answered your second post with your first. I don't think that anybody has said that everybody should live in a high rise block looking at a ring road. Just that some people might be quite happy there. The fact is that even most city dwellers don't live in those circumstances.

I live in a large town but I have a 1/4 acre garden, a playing field at the back and views of hills to the front, yet I can walk into the centre of town. For me that is perfect, but I appreciate that for others it may not be.

I still miss the noise and bustle of my native Covent Garden, yet I wouldn't want to go back to living there. It's lovely for a short visit and I still appreciate why people would want to live there. Not a concrete jungle but an exciting, vibrant, multicultural area of stylish period buildings. I get agoraphobic in large open fields so wouldn't want to live in an isolated location. Enjoy your rural retreat and I'll enjoy my suburban eden.

Zoe

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thats fine - its rather like the assertion that spreading people out means they can't enjoy the company of others, or a good party or are not "social".

I generally find that neighbours in rural areas all know each other, their spouses and kids and look out for each other. a really great sense of community. As for stylish period buildings - my country couttage is eighteenth century - so fairly period. Its sylish enough to be listed too :). Music here tends to be performed live rather than listened to performed by others, sport is played rather than watched. We have lots of cultures here too - its great. Much more integrated though - the ghettos of urban areas don't exist - there is no "China town" or "Asian quarter" - we all live together and work together.

For me I like peace and quiet rather than "noise and bustle". I guess your agoraphobia is my claustrophobia. Wide open spaces and big skies for me. I'd rather be woken by foxes barking and owls calling than car horns and noisy neighours.

Enjoy your town - all the more country for me! :iconbiggrin:
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

oldjerry

OK,I*'ve bloody had enough,you may choose to ignore the the bits that you don't like,but the property that you find so cheap,is out of the range of people that have been BORN AND BRED in that area.It may be OK for you to see your relatives a couple of times a year,but they are forced towards the Smoke you're so pleased to leave,of course they're just workshy nomarks.......if they would only get off their backsides.......

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well I did try to keep humour and fact together. xx

Dunc said
Well, I'm sure that's absolutely marvellous for you, but it doesn't apply to the vast majority of the rest of us who aren't fortunate enough to be so wealthy. I have to work whether I like it or not, because I can't even afford to buy my tiny flat outright, never mind a spread in the country big enough to be self-sufficient on. Nor are many of us in the incredibly luxurious position of being able to choose the work pattern you have...

Have mentioned this before but if I should become a merry widow……. My land is your land xxx

MKG said
Of course humans are social animals - it really goes without saying. I suspect that even if there was enough land to go around to enable people to live apart, they'd still clump. How the hell could you have evenings of music and ale and a big, roaring fire without clumping? And, before anyone argues with that, it's always happened, even before the great industrial Clumping with a capital C. It's part of being human.

It's the part I like, anyway.

Unless ofcourse you p**s on my chips

BR said
Actually most people are. I have no silver spoon - everything I have I have saved up for, made do,

Why should any of us have to justify what we have or haven't got? Personal circumstances are so arbitary, effort or choices that we each make impact on our standard of living yes, but to have is not to be in any way superior or better, or worse.

IN my case I was incredible bold . There were two questions (not direct ofcource) earning capacity and money in the bank.

BR said
generally find that neighbours in rural areas all know each other, their spouses and kids and look out for each other. a really great sense of community. As for stylish period buildings - my country couttage is eighteenth century - so fairly period. Its sylish enough to be listed too :). Music here tends to be performed live rather than listened to performed by others, sport is played rather than watched. We have lots of cultures here too - its great. Much more integrated though - the ghettos of urban areas don't exist - there is no "China town" or "Asian quarter" - we all live together and work together.

Where I live “in Shuthonger “we do not work together but we all know each other and there are loads of cliques those that we loathe and those that we love.
In the pub we have so many live musicians that often we have a Jamming session with quite famous people just ‘’ well jamming together.. We are so rural than there are times when I just have to leave the party early because I have work tomorrow.
So much so that the Borough council must spend loads of it annual budget on a hamlet of 50 dwellings (all worth ¼ mill (min) on disputes about trees, lights ( naturally there are no streets lights but some inconsiderate buggers have these massively oppressive security lights ) don’t get me going on the alarms. !!!

MKG said
Safronsue's original point is ideologically nice (at least to my own mindset) but is simply not a possibility - not unless we reduce our population drastically.

Steady are you making a suggestion here!!

Yes this is load's of gin and after 2 sleeps ( when I did not sleep) and 7 shifts with only one day off in-between ( having made it clear to management a year ago that I was prepared to do 20 hours per week)

hope you all get some light humour from my posting. LOL to those who know and understand me .. and to the rest of you ....... off :icon_smile:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

boboff

Thats where the smell of wee came from then Trinder? Your chips!

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

the voice of reason coming through loud and clear trinder. nice post. xxx