hen muck on garden

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
trappa
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

hen muck on garden

Ive an inexhaustable supply of hen muck courtesy of my chucks. Do any serious gardeners know which sectiion of the garden i should put it on ie potato, onion section etc. I realise its strong stuff, it just seems a shame not to put it on the garden.
Thanks in advance

oldfella
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Re: hen muck on garden

Put it in the compost, and make it into chicken muck tea as a liquid fertilizer, don't put it straight on the garden. Google up " Chicken manure'"

Eddy
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

That's waht I do. I don't touch it for a year and it its fine after that. Don't put it on a worm farm though :(
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

The Riff-Raff Element

Like Oldfella I add it to the compost heap and boy does it get things moving. Chicken poo's NPK balance makes it particularly beneficial for vegetable friuts, so tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, courgettes, squashes, etc, but it can be used anywhere.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i know specifically sweet potatoes DONT like hen muck.
thats all i know.

i agree, you should compost it.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Does anyone know about ordinary potatoes and hen muck? I am going to keep chickens and grow potatoes as a main crop. Always wanted to live on eggs and chips.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

I make my own "Chicken Poo Liquid Fertilizer " and it turns out very well, all you need is a Hessian sack and old dustbin or two, and hang shovelful or two of muck, in sack and hang in the dustbin full of water for a couple of weeks, . Dilute to 5 to 1. I do this every ten days. The rest I put into the compost.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

bill1953 wrote:Does anyone know about ordinary potatoes and hen muck? I am going to keep chickens and grow potatoes as a main crop. Always wanted to live on eggs and chips.
Ha ha, the good old 'egg and chip diet'!! Made me chuckle, always a fall back when I can't be bothered to cook!

oldjerry

Agree with all the above,I rate the liquid fertizer thing too ,but dilute well. It's a great compost activator,I reckon if you've got a source of poultry manure and access to a good source of seaweed,you are truly blessed.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Potter's Farm wrote:
bill1953 wrote:Does anyone know about ordinary potatoes and hen muck? I am going to keep chickens and grow potatoes as a main crop. Always wanted to live on eggs and chips.
Ha ha, the good old 'egg and chip diet'!! Made me chuckle, always a fall back when I can't be bothered to cook!

Why cook when you can have egg and chips? There's nothing finer! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.