Asparagus - yes!!!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Asparagus - yes!!!

Horray at long last our asparagus us up.

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Millymollymandy

Enjoy! :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

becks77 wrote: I have them in a long trough though not in the ground so I can move my asparagus bed when I feel like it! ot sure its the best idea but seemst o be ok so far! :icon_smile:
Hi Becks, what size/ depth is your trough? Has anyone else grow asparagus like this?

Cheers, Jill

Peggy Sue

I bought 3 crowns and put them in a tub in garden some years back- it's lovely to have a few spears but thats exactly my problem, 3 crowns in a pot and you get one spear each for tea now and again. So having the allotment now I have sewn about a dozen 2 years ago. They are so easy to lookmafter, no watering just a bit of weeding and very hardy all weathers. Still worried 12 wouldn't be enough I've sewn another 20 seeds this year- I may be in trouble if 8 per person is all I really need!

My big debate is where to put these latest seedlings. The allotment is light soil and I know they like that. If they really aren't fussy I could do with finding something easy for the garden though. Everything I try to grow in this clay is hard. I've worked in lots of compost over 5 years and lettuce do OK but the slugs here are far worse that the allotment. Do I risk asparagus at home or go for the safe option?
Just Do It!

Millymollymandy

Safe option and use your clay at home for something that likes it. By the way my dear I blame you for this......

..... and I've hoed off loads so far, the empty plot middle left is for sweetcorn later....

And here they are in amongst my spuds, am harvesting until I need to earth them up. I have given away loads of your seeds now need to collect more for me!!! :mrgreen:

becks77

JillStephens7 wrote:
becks77 wrote: I have them in a long trough though not in the ground so I can move my asparagus bed when I feel like it! ot sure its the best idea but seemst o be ok so far! :icon_smile:
Hi Becks, what size/ depth is your trough? Has anyone else grow asparagus like this?

Cheers, Jill
Hi Jill,
I have cleared a biy of garden now and popped them in there...hopefully fresh spears of a decent size next year!
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Peggy Sue

becks77 wrote:
JillStephens7 wrote:

Cheers, Jill
Hi Jill,
I have cleared a biy of garden now and popped them in there...hopefully fresh spears of a decent size next year!
Oops :oops: have to say I didn't realise really until after, it was still my second year with them... now they are indeed everywhere here too, Roger I think is cursing me next door, and maybe next door to him too! It is rather easy in dry weather though which has been useful of late.
Just Do It!

Peggy Sue

eh sorry that was meant for MMM- mouse problems I guess :)
Just Do It!

Millymollymandy

Don't worry, I think they are great - do you know they were even germinating in JANUARY? :shock: I'm all for 'free' crops whilst waiting for the ones you actually sow to grow. Plus they make a salad look really pretty. :flower:

I have a feeling there will be a lot of bemused :scratch: :dontknow: French people about Brittany in the future looking at the strange veg patches of les anglais. :iconbiggrin:

Peggy Sue

Self seeding is wonderfully early to break all the rules... love anything that breaks the rules :) :) :)
Just Do It!