Cloche and cold frame

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Emma
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Cloche and cold frame

At the risk of sounding a bit dumb :withstupid: what is the difference between a cloche and a cold frame and why is it called a cold frame? :geek:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Emma,

A cloche is a mini-green house that is place over a single plant (or I think, also row of plants) that are planted out early in spring to give you an early start :mrgreen: . eg by placing a PET drink bottle with the bottom cut off over a seedling.

A could frame is used in a similar way for seedlings in that it is an area enclosed by glass or plastic that is warmed by the sun to give seedlings an early start. Ususally over seedlings or a nursery bed. It is "cold" because unlike many greenhouses(glasshouses) it contains no supplementary heating :wink: . The classic cold frame is made out of a wooden frame with a window (usually an old casement window) hinged on an angle over the top.

Does that sound OK?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Perfect description Nev and Emma don't worry about sounding stupid, hopefully everyone on here is learning new things. 8)

There is a good quote by Einstien that goes, "spend your whole life asking why and eventually you will educate yourself". - so carry on asking.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have just spent all afternoon making a cold frame out of old pieces of wood and plastic sheets that I scrounged from a car windscreen replacement firm...but now I am worried because although it is a bit lobsided I was pleased with it ....BUT it does not have a sloping top....is this really important or will a flat top do just as well, thanks

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that the sloping top is just to let more light in from the sun at a lower angle - these are used in winter & early spring. It also means that any condensation does not drop onto the seedlings.

Anyway, if the seedlings get some direct sunlight you should be OK :cheers:

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cold Frame

I made a similar cold frame last week, it's not got a sloping top either as it was made without using nails or glue so the top is resting on three bits of wood and a bit of perspex. It has got a bit of perspex at the front facing the sun so maybe we should compare in the spring to see what a difference a non-sloping roof might make.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I was doing the Farm Technology Certificate, they had a cold frame made from aluminium angle and translucent corrugated fibreglass so that light could get in from all sides. If I remember correctly it had a flat roof also.

Nev

Emma

Thank you Nev and everone else, don't worry I WILL keep asking Andy Will start lookin in skips for stuff. Might use some old metal coat hangers and try making a mini polytunnel. :geek:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

No worries Emma, glad to help!

Nev

mountaingirl

Hi All ::flower:

:dave: :mrgreen: :andy: :roll: :king:

Emma this is an interesting site to get ideas about polytunnels.

http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/

I intend to get one for next year. :drunken:

Pollytunnel gardening is great. and with some shelves for the seedlings (which you can take out later) you can gradually plant them out as many as the pt will accomodate, also you have a single area for pest control. :mrgreen:

Good idea is to get some of that super light reflective foil that they develope for NASA and hang that on the inner ptwall that the sun shines against and your plants experience extra sunshine from on both sides of the plants.

You can get the foil from 'growell hydroponics'....cheap

(Also useful to place behind wall bulbs to multiply light to the room.)

Pollytunnels are fab especially if you live in northern climate. :cheers:
and you can hang washing if one is big enough. :bom:

mountaingirl :cat:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thought I would share that I battled the april showers today and made a cloche out of old plastic packaging, bags wire coat hangers, string, tape, bamboo canes and parts of last years sunflowers.

Looks a bit haphazard but think it has done the trick. Will see if I can my digital camera to actually take a picture outdoors and stick up some pics if I get roudn to it. :andy:
and...... Twitter

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Andy, Blue Peter has nothing on you! I take my hat off to you. Last year's sunflowers, have you dried the stems or somehting?... I'm looking forward to seeing the picture.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

greenbean wrote:Hi Andy, Blue Peter has nothing on you! I take my hat off to you. Last year's sunflowers, have you dried the stems or somehting?... I'm looking forward to seeing the picture.
Just left in the ground to dry naturally, really strong stems on them too and the longest one grew to about 10 feet. Makes it much cheaper than bamboo canes.
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Who the heck is blue peter? :shock:

Nev

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wombat wrote:Who the heck is blue peter? :shock:

Nev
:lol:

It is a famous kids show on the BBC that has been on since the 1960's. They always make things on it out of old bits of stuff like toliet tubes, washing up liquid bottles and that sort of thing. In fact they were pretty pionnering really.
and...... Twitter