Golden Virginia seeds.

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Golden Virginia seeds.

MKG wrote:Oddly, Julie, you're not exactly correct about the UK. The tax point is shredding -

Mike
Mike,I'm sure you're right(in fact I know you are) but you are dealing with the customs and excise people here,just try and bring unshredded leaf in from abroad.

southeast-isher

I would be interested in trying to hydroponically grow tobacco if i could run the lights off solar energy. :scratch:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, another tobacco fallacy bites the dust. All the tobacco forums tell us how difficult it is to germinate the seeds. It's bulls**t.

Four days in a normal heated propagator gave me perfectly healthy little seedlings which have now become perfectly healthy bigger seedlings. No keeping them in the dark and no waiting for four weeks.

The growing bed is waiting for them - end of this month and out the buggers go :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

southeast-isher

MKG wrote:Well, another tobacco fallacy bites the dust. All the tobacco forums tell us how difficult it is to germinate the seeds. It's bulls**t.
Check this out for the debunking of a tobacco myth...

As written by the ex-director of ASH Clive Bates who here is promoting smokeless tobacco...

http://www.smokersonly.org/others/Bates ... 060606.pdf

Millymollymandy

ooooooh thanks for the reminder Mike, better find my seeds first then put them in the pile of 'Must Sow Now' seeds. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

having discussed this with my OH who is supportive if sightly skeptical of my fads, i've ordered my first packet of seed to try this year!
i don't smoke anymore but he's a cutters choice man and has been ever since i met him, and he does like the idea of additive/preservative/chemical free rollies - so i have a raised eyebrow of approval to have a go! :D

boboff

Thanks to the reminder I put mine in the propogator yesterday!

Wicked,
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

gregorach

MKG wrote:Well, another tobacco fallacy bites the dust. All the tobacco forums tell us how difficult it is to germinate the seeds. It's bulls**t.
You have to remember that a lot of people seem to have trouble growing anything...
Cheers

Dunc

Tru&Ad
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Good O

Don't have heated propagator but shall be placing seed on compost on windowsill this weekend.

I think for myself I'll just be drying them and mixing with shop bought baccy. Will cost a little but bulk up the tax sodden
shop bought stuff !!! £14 today for 50g !!! I'd forgotten as I've been smoking duty free from Spanish trip still
I started out with nothing and I've got most of it left !

If it's not on fire it's a software problem !

Do I have to ?????

prison break fan

Really pleased everyone is having a go with their seeds. Haven't done mine yet. My big thing at the moment is growing peanuts! They germinated really quickly and are very pretty. Just want a good summer for them and the tobacco. pbf.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

They're all out in the greenhouse now, looking terribly healthy. The biggest ones are those that grew in the pots where I sowed tomatoes and chilis - some of the little sods must have been hiding in my fingernails! But they transplant without a whimper.

The only problem is that I must have about 300 of the things. OH might have something to say about that :lol:

Mike

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

They're quite easy to grow, I had one as a child. Don't worry, it wasn't to smoke, it was part of a science experiment when I was about 7 to see how much pollution there was in my area. Guess that might be where people say it's tricky, more pollution the more spots. Mind you, I lived in a built up area, not too far from Rolls Royce and none of the leaves became completely covered, it was quite a while ago, but I think there were no more than a quarter of each leaf covered.

If I could grow one as a kid, I'm sure no one would have any serious problems ;)

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

none of my first sowing came up :( can you chit them?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you use a propagator, Pops? They tend to like high temperatures to germinate. As for chitting, if you could see them easily, I should imagine you could - but they're awfully small. We're told not to cover them after sowing - I hadn't remembered that, but they still came up.

Mike

Millymollymandy

How quickly did they grow Mike - cos mine are still in the propagator after a week and are TINY - and there's tons of them even though I tried to only sow very little (but the seed is so small!). If they don't grow a lot quicker than celery which also was tiny for months then I'm not going to have much to smoke at the end of the summer! :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/