Polytunnel

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Polytunnel

Thoughts please, I grow most things in pots, buckets, bags etc and want to grow toms, peppers and cucumber and have failed outside and want a green house, but can't afford one - but have seen a polytunnel - anyone used one? It's a bit pricy but I'll have a go but I'd like some feed back please

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-5-m-x-2m-Large- ... 1c0d03b514

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Polytunnel

I know several people who've made their own polytunnel based on these instructions....

http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPa ... nel&Page=1

....and are very happy with how robust they are, even in spots with strong winds. In fact, having drawn a blank on buying a frame, I'm going to be building myself one in the next few weeks. If money's tight, maybe it's worth considering.

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi contadino - money is tight but time is tighter so I will not be making anything myself - I'm going to risk it and order one, get the pots and raised bed going inside so they warm up to grow toms and cucumbers and chillis

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Can't be sure if it is the same model as I lived in the Netherlands at the time, but I've known a few people on my former allotment site who've had similar polytunnels. They don't seem to stand up to any serious wind (the frame collapses), but otherwise should last you a few years. You could reinforce the frame if you're a bit handy.

Happy growing.

Jandra

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have to say I am not sure it would stand up to even the slightest puff of wind - it really does look very flimsy and I fear you money could all too soon blow away or collapse.

I know this one is a lot more expensive but it really might be worth saving up (a £ a week say) and get one like this next year which I am sure would be a much better long term investment.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've posted this piccy before of a plastic greenhouse which lasted less than a week and blew over when it wasn't even particularly windy. There's no fixing it to the ground other than silly little tent pegs. I wouldn't waste your money on it unless you can work out a way to fix it permanently to the ground. You'd think this one had a more solid frame than the one you are thinking about!

Greenhouse disaster.jpg
Greenhouse disaster.jpg (213.84 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

bonniethomas06

Liskeardjane - let me know how you get on, I would be interested to see as this is about our budget and we are pretty desperate for extra growing space, our glass porch is busting!

Sorry MMM - had to laugh - what a disaster!

I have a freind who has a cheaper one (like the one LJ linked to) and they pointed out that there is a big flap around the base, where the plastic overlaps. Apparently the trick is to bury this with earth, and weigh it down with breeze blocks. They have a sort of permenant layer of 2 breezebrocks around the structure, and it has lasted for three years so far?
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

grahamhobbs

The people on the next plot bought a couple of polytunnels, about 8' x 6', £60 each from B&Q (I think). They seem very good value, with a mesh reinforced plastic cover, ventilation flaps, etc.

Squirrel46
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'll watch this with interest as I'm expecting a new one this week! It's 2m x 2m x 3m.
My allotment can get a bit breezy, so I've prepared six lengths of dexion to drive in the ground to attach it to! :cooldude:
Never give a food animal a name, its not nice to eat a friend!

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

thanks for the stories - sorry the green house blew down! - on that note, I will make some guy lines and weight all around the edge with old bricks and hang things off the frame if it can take any weight at all, it's ordered and it'll be up within a few weeks so I'll keep you informed, thanks for the advice.

Squirrel46
Tom Good
Tom Good

liskeardjane wrote:thanks for the stories - sorry the green house blew down! - on that note, I will make some guy lines and weight all around the edge with old bricks and hang things off the frame if it can take any weight at all, it's ordered and it'll be up within a few weeks so I'll keep you informed, thanks for the advice.
Asked about weighting the poly down with bricks today from an experienced guy.
He recomends digging a trench and making sure the edge is well buried. Also bricks will damage your cover in a wind!

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi richie robins, it hasn't really cost me anything - i sold stuff i no longer need on ebay to buy something i do need like a greenhouse -

Millymollymandy

Too late now Richie as she already posted that it has been ordered! Good luck with it LJ. :thumbright:

Squirrel46
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sunny and no wind today so....... :flower:
Planning a couple of tweaks to make things a bit more secure. The frame is tied down to dexion driven into the ground! :scratch:

Millymollymandy

Looks good!