what's in y'pots?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

what's in y'pots?

I have a small area where I can plant but the rest is on a 'ski slope' incline, in the shade of a beech tree and hopeless for growing, consequently i grow in pots on the patio. today I have planted a rhubarb and have got the early spuds chitting and have bought the seeds: bean, peas, beetroot and onions so what's in y'pots??

http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: what's in y'pots?

Nothing yet - but I have grown beans (runner and French) and courgettes VERY successfully in pots. Potatoes too, but I wouldn't call those a success.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Keaniebean
A selfsufficientish Regular

I planted some dwarf apple, pear and cherry trees in pots last year. So I am hoping they have some fruit n them this year.

I have tried for the last 3 years to 'do' potatoes in pots but they have never worked very well :( :?
At the moment I am just pondering whether or not to put some blackcurrant bushes in pots, I havent really got anywhere else to put them now as my garden is so small.

Has anyone else tried this?
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Flo

I've a long hardstanding on my allotment and I do put lots of tubs on it. Because it's warm and sunny the parsnips love the tubs there. Carrots I grow in tubs too. And a few potatoes. I'm going to put borage in tubs along a sunny hedge on the plot this year as herb space is a bit limited.

At the moment I'm not sure what else will end up in the tubs because it's still cold and given to snowing so I've not got down to the nitty gritty of what I don't have space for in the actual ground. Can I answer the question about May when I've almost finished planting up?

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've just planted a rhubarb in a pot, it was given to me and it's in the summer house as we have bad weather a head and i'm worried it looks young and tender - i'll harden it off later.

citizentwiglet

Nothing in my pots at the moment, it's too ruddy cold!

I'll be getting my raised bed in the new community garden when it opens in May. That might make things a bit tricky with growing some things from seed - but then again, Scotland are about 5 or 6 weeks behind the South of England so I'm hoping we won't have lost too much time. Problem I guess is that our spring starts 6 weeks behind the South of England, but doesn't extend out (heatwise, it probably does light-wise) 6 weeks the other side, IYSWIM!
We did have a rule that no seedlings or small plants could be brought onto the site, because of the threat of Flat Worm (which we have here in abundence) getting into the wormeries; but that has since been revised so at least I can get things started at home to transplant, so that means things like my dwarf beans, that I was going to have to start off at home and grow in my garden, can go into the raised bed instead.

So...I'm kind of thinking......I need to sort out my herbs. My rosemary has, over 4 years, got very leggy and blotchy looking, so I think that needs replacing. The frost has killed off most of my stuff, except my thyme; so I need to get that sorted.

I'm going to try some spuds in bags - people seem to have mixed success with it, but it's not too pricey an experiment, really, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Salad leaves, just to grab on days when I won't be at the community garden, I'm not sure what else. I'd love some fruit bushes for my front garden, but I'm not sure how well they would do, as the front garden is North facing and doesn't have a fence or anything to keep the local chavs off them, so I'm not sure how well they'll do!
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden